Friday, June 23, 2006

Bad writer. Bad.

One of the funny moments my family tells when we're in reminiscent moods (and what Southerner isn't generally in a reminiscent mood around friends or family?) is about a time when my mom, dad, little sister and I were at Pizza Hut. We were about to leave--my sister Kate and I were probably in late elementary or early middle school--and as we passed by the bowl of peppermints at the front, Kate stuck her hand in and grabbed a fistfull. My mom, ever the mannerly Southern woman, turned to her and gently slapped her wrist (it was probably more like a pat--my mom was never one to spank) and said sternly, "No, no, no!" Maybe you had to be there, but it was such a comical moment and completely out of character for my mom (although not for my sister, hehe) that we all cracked up and still tell the story to this day.

The reason I took you on that detour down memory lane is that I feel like I should be slapping my own wrist, exclaiming, "No, no, no!" (For you AP style sticklers out there, I had to add the final serial comma--I just had to) I haven't written a thing on my novel in at least two weeks. I'm a bad novelist. But my magazine job, which runs on a quarterly cycle, has picked up again, leaving much less free time. Oh, and I took on more responsibility at the children's newspaper, also eating into my free time, but in a good way.

It's hard to find time to write because so many things take priority--my family being the highest, naturally. Then there are my jobs; they do expect work when they pay me. And friends and church and a million other things... It makes me wonder, of all the titles I have--wife, sister, daughter, friend, editor--where the title of "novelist" fits in. It's a question of priorities and mine aren't quite straightened out yet.

On a lighter note, I got the sweetest comment from a lady at www.RealBook.com. I visited the site (see the link on the left) and it's a fantastic place to see what other writers--published and aspiring--are up to. The blogs they review are a great way to connect with writers and book lovers. I highly recommend it.

No comments: