Friday, June 02, 2006

Writer's block

I've written about 25 single-spaced pages on my novel and I think it's having an identity crisis. Originally I thought it would be just a literary fiction book, then I thought maybe a genre mystery, and now I'm thinking it should be a Young Adult book.

The problem: It takes place at a university, and the main character is a college sophomore who is a reporter for the university newspaper. I began thinking that probably adults would not want to read a book in which the main character is a college student, unless of course it was a deeply well-written novel, which it likely won't be--I have to work my way up. There are adult novels in which the main character is a child or adolescent (To Kill a Mockingbird, The Lovely Bones, etc. etc.) or maybe even a college student, but they are mainly soul-searching works with precocious characters who teach us something about ourselves, blah blah blah.

My novel is a Southern mystery complete with murder, a sinister secret society and a national political scandal, and I just don't know where it belongs. I could just write it and decide later, but my journalism background makes me want to consider my audience while I write. Who knows. More updates later.

No comments: