Wednesday, November 01, 2006

National Novel Writing Month

I discovered this today and I'm totally excited. National Novel Writing Month is where novelists try to write a 50,000-word novel (or maybe just 50,000 words of your novel) in one month. Deadline is Nov. 30 at midnight.

I'll own up right now that it is entirely unlikely that I'll get 50,000 words in a month. The good thing about it is that it provides more motivation for me to actually do work, whether it's good writing or not.

I'm such a slow writer because after every few sentences I write, I re-read and edit and re-edit and re-re-edit. For me, it's kind of scary to leave something on a page unedited. Like I'll somehow forget it stinks and never go back to fix it, or remember to go back but have no idea how to fix it. So I am going to adopt this fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants approach to writing for this month and see what comes out of it. You can keep track of my progress on the widget (I learned a new word today) at the left.

Visit www.nanowrimo.org to sign up yourself for free and jump off the Procrastination Wagon with me.

No comments: