Tuesday, November 14, 2006

PROcrastination

Yep, I'm a pro at it. As you can probably tell from the meter on the left, I haven't been very good at working to reach the NaNoWriMo 50,000-word goal. I'm not, like most other Wrimo authors, working to write a 50,000-word novel. I just wanted to use the event to get myself revved up for working on my existing novel, which was about 20,000 words before I began NaNoWriMo. But no worries, I'm not cheating. I only started counting my words from the day that Wrimo began.

Otherwise, the novel is going s-l-o-w-l-y. I've written about 22,000 words total and I'm still only into the fourth or fifth day of events.

Body count: 1 (dismal)
Red herrings: 3
Love interests: 2
Attacks on the heroine: 0
Deep conversations: oh, dozens

The characters won't just get a move on. I used to wonder how people could write 300-page novels that span the course of one day, but now I realize I could easily do that--except my version would be way more boring.

I've always heard other writers--in writing classes at college, in author interviews, on the NaNoWriMo forums--talk about how their characters speak to them and demand to go one way or the other. Uh...that doesn't happen to me. Sometimes as I'm typing, the story and the characters go in a direction I didn't expect, but they don't actually talk to me. I don't know if that means I'm a bad writer, the characters are bland, or if it maybe just means I don't have a mild psychological disorder. I wonder if all good writers have to be a little bit crazy.

No comments: