Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Aloha



Yes, this is my view right now. Yes, the ocean is just out of sight beyond the furthest palm trees. Aloha from the island of Kauai, in Hawaii. And yes, here I am typing on my laptop instead of soaking up the sun on the beach or at one of our three pools. Unfortunately, JB and I did a bit too much sun soaking yesterday and I am now ensconced on our resort's open-air terrace in an effort to enjoy the view without enjoying the UVA/UVB rays. Such is the life of a natural blonde.

I brought along a couple of beach reads and just finished devouring one of them: The Little Lady Agency by Hester Browne. LOVED it. It's kind of like the Shopaholic books (British well-written Chick Lit) but the idea is more original and I loved the main character even more. Melissa Romney-Jones (don't you love how British people just naturally have double last names?), a curvaceous, "proper" English girl who opens an ingenious agency to help guys learn how to dress, behave in public, get girlfriends, etc. Kind of like a female Hitch, but way more interesting. And I just found out online that Hester Browne has written a sequel, Little Lady, Big Apple. I'm definitely going to the bookstore when I get home.
And speaking of books, yes I have been working on my novel while I'm here. I've gotten some fun, jucier parts written so stay tuned for the next Novel Update. I'm also 66 words away from a milestone: 50,000 words! It's hard to believe I've been able to squeeze that many words out of my brain, although I realize novelists both better and worse than myself do it all the time, and more. And the real goal is 75,000-100,000 words. But it still doesn't mean there isn't cause to celebrate. Maybe I should get a fruity drink with a little umbrella.
Mahalo for reading this entry. Wish you were here.

2 comments:

rissa roo said...

i love reading about what you are writing about miss ac!!! congats on getting to 50,000. you are amazing :)

love you and miss you!

Casey said...

I didn't know that you were writing a novel! How cool is that?!? Also, thanks for the tip on the book. I loved the Shopaholic series and am sad that I've read them all. I'll have to check out these by Hester Browne.