Sunday, February 10, 2008

literary insult

I have a literary quote of the day on my Google homepage (yeah, dorky I know) and the one for today was kind of, well, insulting. Here it is:

"If you do not breathe through writing, if you do not cry out in writing, or sing in writing, then don't write, because our culture has no use for it." --Anais Nin, French writer

I mean, really? It seems to me that the writers who take themselves waaay too seriously are the most boring to read. Not that writing has to be thrill-a-minute--the best literature usually isn't--but who is Anais Nin to say what our culture has a use for or doesn't? Apparently many of us have a use for endless dissection of Britney Spears' life (um, guilty). So it stands to reason that our culture has a use for all kinds of writing, even by authors who don't necessarily "breathe through writing" or "cry out in writing".

I don't see writing in that way, probably because my life has been relatively sorrow-free and I don't have too many childhood issues to sort through. So my writing, while I try to infuse it with some meaning, is also meant to entertain. And that's ok. Ask J.K Rowling. I guarantee she's made more of an impact on more people than Anais Nin ever did.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i have to say very ignorant for u to say that jk rowling has more of an influence than anais. if it weren't for dr lawrence, anais and henry miller we would be living in a completely different world; what these authors did for censorship in this country was incredibly courageous.

Anonymous said...

and she was talking about the culture of her time--certainly things have changed since then.