Sunday, April 13, 2008


Can you see my excitement?? This is me with Coach Tommy Tuberville, head football coach of the World's Greatest Football Team in the History of Everything, the AUBURN TIGERS. The Auburn Tigers athletically represent the World's Greatest University in the History of Everything (and my alma mater), AUBURN UNIVERSITY.


Tommy T. was visiting the office to speak at the retirement party for our longtime sports editor. He couldn't have been nicer.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I've been an Auburn Fan since birth. Auburn is one of the greatest places in the world and I had a fantastic four years there. A list of some family members who are also alums: JB, Mom, Dad, sister Katie, aunt, uncle, assorted cousins, JB's sister, the list goes on...I can tell you truthfully that I wasn't pressured to go there (Mom and Dad encouraged me to look at other schools, too) but when you're exposed to greatness at an early age, how can you seriously consider going elsewhere?


On the day of the photo, my friend from the cube across from mine (who is an Alabama fan, although a nice one) walked over, saying, "You know Tommy Tuberville is in the hallway outside, right?" Later I would be mercilessly teased by coworkers for the rapidity with which I leaped from my chair and dashed through the entire office to the hallway. Let them laugh. I got to meet Tubby for the first time, and though he probably thought I was a crazy person for the breathless way I told him how excited I was to meet him, and that I was an Auburn grad, and so was my mom, dad, sister, aunt, uncle, cousins, and did I mention I was so excited to meet him...he was super nice and posed for a photo--and even put his arm around my shoulders!


In addition to being a great public speaker, a great coach, placing a high importance on academics (the Tigers have a super-high graduation rate among his players) and being apparently a perfect gentleman, he has led Auburn to beat our archnemesis Alabama SIX TIMES IN A ROW. While the other qualities I mentioned are undoubtedly more important than this, I have to say that the bragging rights are priceless.


And may I just say, that if Alabama head coach Nick Saban were to walk into my office building, the staff's Alabama fans (they are legion) would almost certainly kiss his pinky finger and bow down in worship. Don't deny it, Bama fans. We all know you would.

No comments: