Friday, June 20, 2008

I want my own montage

Getting in shape and getting better at running would be much easier if I could just experience it in an uplifting montage--like in the movies. And it only needs to last a minute or two.

I have it all planned out, actually. Scenes in slo-mo would fade in and out, showing me determinedly huffing and puffing in my spinning class, gritting my teeth as I lift! those! weights!, smiling smugly as I choose a salad from a dinner menu, lacing my sneakers in the misty early morning light. The culmination is an inspiring shot where I race across the finish line of a 5K, hands in the air like Rocky, as the music swells and my loved ones cheer me on from the sidelines.

That would be much nicer than actually going through all of it over a period of months instead of minutes. Because really, while I can see progress (fitting into size 12 jeans again, running for longer than 30 seconds at a time) it's still hard to keep the big picture in mind. I felt a sense of accomplishment this morning when I ran for a nearly six minute stretch and then for five minutes the next stretch; it's better than my average of three 1/2 minutes last week, but I still felt like my lungs were going to give out when I was done and I have to walk for a few (or several) minutes in between each time I run.

I know some girls who don't have gym memberships and don't obsess over their eating habits, but they're nevertheless able to run for a couple of miles, no problem. Like if someone asked them to go for a run, spur-of-the-moment, they could do it. I could never do that, at least not yet. Excuse me while I throw an improptu Pity Party for myself: Why is it harder for me? It sometimes feels depressing knowing that, for the rest of my life, if I ever stop working out or watching what I eat, I'll regress back to the weight I was before, possibly gain more, and then have to do this all over again. I'm 25 years old and I know my body isn't going to make weight loss any easier from here out.

But ok. The pity parties are usually short-lived affairs because my practical self nearly always reminds me: of all the things to have to fight for a lifetime, this one is easy. Like majorly easy. Other people have to deal with debilitating illnesses, cancer, abuse, mental illness and the list goes on. Plus there are hundreds of thousands, maybe millions of people who have a harder weight battle to fight than I do.

One of my favorite blogs is on glamour.com, called Margarita Shapes Up, where a fabulous Glamour staffer named Margarita is blogging daily about her weight loss journey. It's awesome and you should definitely check it out.

She posted earlier this week about the way society views overweight people, and how a new study at Yale found that discrimination against overweight people occurs more often than racial discrimination. Her post (and the article) is thought-provoking. It made me more aware of how I can look at or treat "fat" people (however unconsciously) like, well, losers. People with weight problems--like people with any other problems, from smoking to drug abuse--need support, not criticism.

Which I guess includes me not criticising myself. Maybe once I lose the weight and run that 5K I'll need to splice together my own Rocky-worthy montage. Now I'm taking recommendations for a theme song.

1 comment:

Chad Aaron Sayban said...

I think you are right. We should all have our own montage. The problem is mine would keep changing all the time.

Very true about overweight people being looked at poorly. I've caught myself doing it - asking why they can't get their lives together. Not a fair question at all. That said, it can be done. My friend Eric has lost more than 50 pounds in the last year with running. Good luck!