Tuesday, June 24, 2008

I was late for work again this morning. At least I was less late than yesterday, but it's becoming a bad trend. The cuprit? My closet.

Yes, friends. I am a Girl With Nothing to Wear. You could argue that this is pretty much every girl. Ever. And you'd be right. But now, for me, it's a state of being that's reached disaster-like proportions in the last couple of weeks. (And yes, I know there are millions of people in other countries with nothing but the clothes on their backs and I have no right to complain and not to mention the poor in our own country and how could I be so self-absorbed? Bear with me. I like hyperbole.)

I spend at least 20 minutes in front of my closet each morning, trying stuff on and throwing it into a growing reject pile on my bed. The reason for this is something that on the surface is a good thing but is truly wreaking havoc on my wardrobe. I've now lost 19 lbs since the end of March.

I know. No reason for complaints. Except that although most of my clothes still technically fit, they're baggy in some places and wonky in others. They make me look schlumpy.

Add this to my now being able to fit in other random pieces of clothing from several years ago that I've inexplicably kept in my closet; they now fit but are kind of out of date. Not MC-Hammer-pants-out-of-date but more like lots-of-floral-A-line-skirts-out-of-date.

Oh, and I have no pants to wear to work.

Which is how, after trying on no less than eight tops and four skirts this morning, I ended up with the following winning ensemble:
-floral skirt that now fits but dates back to sophomore year of college
-white sleeveless cotton tank that also now fits, is older than skirt, and has a slightly visible stain on the front
-3/4-sleeved red wool cardigan partially buttoned (to cover the stain)
-tortoiseshell-colored heeled flipflops that I'm not entirely sure match the ensemble


(Here is a closeup of all three. Breathtaking, isn't it.)


Notice the cardigan is wool. Wool. In June in Alabama. I'm wearing it because something has to cover the stain, and that something needs to sort of match my skirt, and the only cardigan I own that even remotely matches said skirt is wool. Gah.

I don't want to go out and buy lots of stuff because I'm still many, many pounds away from my goal weight. I did buy some workout clothes this weekend, though, and they make me feel like I can kick butt all day long.

But alas, workout clothes and work clothes are two very different things. So I'm back to weird combinations and no work pants for the next several months.

2 comments:

Chad Aaron Sayban said...

As for the late for work part, you could lay out everything the night before. Of course, you might change your mind in the morning.

When it comes to the fashion part, I'll leave that alone. The last thing anyone is going to acuse me of being is from the cover of GQ.

Casey said...

Congrats on the 19 lbs! I know you're excited!