Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Secret weapons

When I decide to do something, I tend to just go out and...do it. Like when I thought about joining Weight Watchers, I talked about it with a couple of friends/acquaintances who'd done it, and then attended my first meeting, all within a span of two weeks. It turned out to be a majorly good decision.

So when I thought about taking up running a couple of weeks ago, I did a little bit of internet research, shopped for running shoes, and now I'm running. Not very well yet...the term 'jogging' would be more accurate. Interspersed with lots of walking.

I don't say all this to brag. The real truth is that I'm just not good at waiting. I'm crazy impatient all the time.

Though I've only been running (jogging) about two weeks, I think it's something I'm going to stick with. And what makes it easy? My iPod. What makes it even easier? The adorable pink-and-white Nikes that sync with my iPod and tell me how far I've run, how long, how many calories I'm burning and my average speed.

The swooshes are pink. They match my pink iPod. I'm in love.

Nike is not paying me to endorse it. (Neither is WW, although I'm starting to think I need a commission from those people.) But the Nike+ technology, where you put a chip in the shoe and connect a little thingy to your iPod nano and it tells you all this stuff (while running!) is amazing. Then you can load it to nikerunning.com and see your progress. And make an adorable little Nike Mini avatar. See mine here.

Tiger Woods even came on my iPod Friday after my run (jog) and told me 'Congratulations, you've completed your fastest run yet!' Thanks, Tiger. You're sweet.

The real runners out there are smirking for sure. We don't need special Nike and iPod gadgets, they say. We don't need cute little dancing avatars. We don't need Tiger Woods.

Maybe not. But I say, whatever keeps me motivated and out of bed at 5:30 a.m. to jog/walk/run for an hour in the Alabama humidity is totally worth it. Need proof? I dropped two whole pounds last week. Boo-yah.

1 comment:

shannon said...

two pounds in a week, you rock! that's awesome! i'm jealous. i lost a lot of weight last year but i'm currently unmotivated. maybe your success will make me want to get back on it. :)