Tuesday, August 26, 2008

A Cooking Story

Tonight I wanted to try photoblogging a recipe like my beloved Pioneer Woman. I adapted a recipe from an old Southern Living to be more Weight Watchers points-friendly. Read to the end before you decide to cook this for your own sweet family.

Pasta with Basil Cream Sauce
1 pkg pasta
2 tablespoons light butter
Approx. 6 oz. sliced fresh mushrooms
3 green onions, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 t. dried Italian seasoning
1 can (10 oz.) of Rotel, drained (sometimes I don't use the whole can)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
1 cup fat-free half-and-half
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
salt to taste


That isn't all of the ingredients, but it's most of them. The original recipe calls for using a 24-oz. package of frozen beef ravioli. To lighten the recipe up, I used this lower-fat, low-points pasta.


AC's Cooking Tip # 1: It's more fun if you've got a glass of wine to sip while you cook.

First, set a big stock pot to boil and cook the pasta according to package directions.

Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons of light butter over medium to medium-high heat in a pot (or skillet with sides, since all my pots were dirty). Add mushrooms, green onions, garlic and italian seasoning. Saute 6 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Yum, sauteed mushrooms.



Next, stir in the Rotel, basil and cream and bring to a boil. Recuce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes. Check out this creamy goodness:
At some point, your pasta should be done, so drain it and keep warm.


The add the parm and salt to the mushroom mixture and either stir in your pasta or pour mushroom mixture over bowls of pasta.

Then feel good about yourself for making a lovely low-fat cream pasta dish:
My adorable apron was hand-made by one of JB's extremely talented and crafty aunts. Speaking of JB, he came into the kitchen, ready to eat.


So we sat down to dinner. But there was one catch:


When we were at the grocery store on Sunday doing our bi-weekly shopping, Publix didn't have regular mild Rotel; all it had was hot Rotel. So I figured, 'I'll just use about half of what I normally use.' Yeah. Not a good idea, because the pasta was Hot. I mean, Burn-Off-Your-Tastebuds Hot.

After a few bites, we couldn't take it any more. So we did the only sensible thing.


So I can't actually say whether my lighten-up swaps made the recipe just as good or not, since it was impossible to tell under that heat. If anyone makes this, let me know how it goes. And don't use anything but mild Rotel.

3 comments:

shannon said...

Hahaha, you are too funny, this is the best blog post EVAR.

Chad Aaron Sayban said...

LOL, great post! There have been a few emergency trips for fast food in our home that came about this way, too. Well done!

Casey said...

Yes, wonderful finale!! But, despite the hotness from the taste test, it looks delicious! I do believe I will try it (even though I will have to pick each and every mushroom out of John's dish). Husbands!