Monday, August 11, 2008

Go USA! I'm right behind you...on the couch.



The Olympic highlight from last night was hands-down the fantastic, fabulous, scream-at-the-TV men's 4x100m relay. Michael Phelps, Garrett Weber-Gale, Cullen Jones and Jason Lezak pulled off a gold-medal win in what lots of knowlegable sports types are saying is one for the Olympic history books. Lezak pulled ahead of the French guy in the last few seconds to win by .08 seconds. JB and I were screaming at the TV and cheering during the final lap. Can't describe how thrilling it was: we felt like winners and we were just lounging on the couch! I was going to post the video here, but can't figure out how to do it. Read all about it, see video and fantastic pics here.


What made the win that much sweeter was the obnoxious trash talk the Frenchies had been doing in the media. “The Americans? We’re going to smash them. That’s what we came here for," France's Alain Bernard famously said. I'm glad he was there to hear Phelps and Weber-Gale bellowing their war cries like maniacs when the winners were announced. Take that, France.




We also watched Margaret Hoelzer come in sixth in the women's 100m backstroke semifinals. Right now she's the world record-holder in the 200m backstroke and I'm looking forward to that race later this week.


I'm a big fan because she's a swimmer from my hometown, graduated same year I did (different high schools) and she's also a former swimmer for my alma mater, Auburn University. Olympic star Kirsty Coventry of Zimbabwe was also an Auburn swimmer, as is Fred Bousquet of France (one of the silver-medal-winning, trash-talking relay team), Matt Targett of Australia (one of the bronze-winning relay team) and several other current Olympic swimmers. Oh yeah, and Rowdy Gaines, swimming commentator from last night and three-time Olympic gold medalist, is also an Auburn grad.


In other news, I've got my first group run tonight with the No Boundaries 5K training team. Not too worried about it yet since I was able to run 2 miles straight this morning! But tougher times are coming, I know. Plus it'll still be hot as Hades at 6 p.m.

1 comment:

Chad Aaron Sayban said...

I loved that race! I watched it live and almost woke the entire house up. The best part of the whole thing is that if Alain Bernard hadn't run off at the mouth the way he did, I doubt that Lezak would have had the fire to run him down at the end. It was great to see Lezak come through the way he did because he was the goat for the USA in the 4x100 in Athens.

Yes, I am hooked on the Olympics.