Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Hoelzer Watch, part deux

My hometown's Olympian swimmer Margaret Hoelzer won the bronze medal last night in the 100m backstroke! Woo hoo! The 100m is not even her specialty event. She set the world record for the 200m backstroke at the U.S. Olympic Swim Trials back in July. The semifinals for the 200m race are Thursday night (here in the U.S.; I think they're actually Friday morning in Beijing) and the finals are Friday night (in the U.S.).

(This pic of her is not from the Olympics; nbcolympics.com has thwarted my efforts to post any good racing pics. Check here if you want to see them.)

And to further illustrate that Auburn, my alma mater, has Olympic swimmers coming out its ears, Eric Shanteau was also an Auburn Tiger. He's the swimmer who was diagnosed with testicular cancer something like a week before the Olympics. He decided to compete anyway, postponing treatment until the games are finished. In my hometown paper, Hoelzer talked about how inspiring Shanteau is and called him "one of the toughtest people I've ever met."

Best of luck to Shanteau, Hoelzer and the rest of the U.S. team! I'll be here on my couch, cheering you on.

No comments: