Tuesday, August 19, 2008

TBR (to be read)

I keep a list on my BlackBerry of books I come across that look like they could be good reads. Just for kicks (or yawns) I'm posting the list here. I also keep lists of names I hear that might make good characters one day. But that's for another, much dorkier blog post. Suffice to say, my Blackberry has omitted the random piles of sticky notes and paper scraps that used to clutter my handbag.

The following list contains hardly any great works of literature. It's heavy in the mystery and chick lit genres, with a bit of historical nonfiction thrown in. Let me know if you've read any of 'em and what you thought.

--A Rather Lovely Inheritance and A Rather Curious Engagement by C.A. Belmond
--Her Royal Spyness by Rhys Bowen (and her other Royal Spyness novels)
--The House on the Strand by Daphne du Maurier
--The Perfect Prince: The Mystery of Perkin Warbeck and His Quest for the Throne of England by Ann Wroe
--An English Murder by Cyril Hare
--mysteries by Margery Allingham
--McGee and Stuckey's Bountiful Containers by McGee and Stuckey
--American Eve: The Birth of the It Girl and the Crime of the Century by Paula Uruburu
--The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher by Kate Summerscale
--Governess: The Lives and Times of the Real Jane Eyres by Ruth Brandon
--A Fatal Waltz by Tasha Alexander
--Gaslight mysteries by Victoria Thompson
--Undiscovered Country by Lin Enger
--An American Tragedy by Theodore Dreiser
--The Perfect Summer: England 1911, Just Before the Storm by Juliet Nicholson

3 comments:

Casey said...

You've got to check out the books that I just finished reading. You'll love them.

Chad Aaron Sayban said...

I can officially say that I have not read any of these books - but they do sound interesting.

Cathy said...

I read one of Rhys Bowen's books in another series and enjoyed it. I've always liked Daphne Du Maurier. American Eve is also on my wish list. I've enjoyed 3 or 4 of Thompson's Gaslight series and still have 3 on the TBR shelves. An American Tragedy is also good, in a completely different way. :-)

Happy Reading!