Monday, August 04, 2008

Vindication!


This weekend Netflix kindly sent me the 1995 version of Persuasion. It wasn't bad (Ciaran Hinds was lookin' mighty nice back in the day) though it's not really one of my favorite Austen books. I did, however gather further proof toward my There are 30 British Actors in the Whole World hypothesis. I played Spot the British Actor the entire movie. Here are my findings:

-Anne Eliot was played by Amanda Root, who was also Winifred Forsyte in The Forsyte Saga
-Capt. Frederick was played by Ciaran Hinds, who, among gads of other films was Edward in the 1997 miniseries version of Jane Eyre.
-Mrs. Croft was played by Fiona Shaw, who is Aunt Petunia in the Harry Potter films, Aunt Reed in the 1996 Jane Eyre, and (oh yes!) the crazy girls' school principal in Three Men and a Little Lady
-skeezy Mr. Eliot was played by Samuel West, who was St. John in the 1996 Jane Eyre
-and the chick who played Anne's sister, I swear I've seen her before but can't place her. Any help is much appreciated.

And these are just the ones I recognized. Lots of Jane Eyre love going on; or I guess there are just tons of Jane Eyre adaptations. It's my favorite book of all time, so I've seen bascially all of them. Have to say, I like the most recent Masterpiece Theatre version the very best. I'm always taking recommendations on other lovely British period films.

1 comment:

Chad Aaron Sayban said...

I'm beginning to believe that there may be some merit to you British actor hypothisis.