Tuesday, September 23, 2008

I'm in the middle of an epiphany here

For the past week, in my spare time I've been browsing the Snarkives of the now-dark blog, Miss Snark. She's a literary agent in NYC and I'm convinced she's kind of a genius. She has advice on anything you'd ever want to know about business side of writing (getting published). All her old posts are worth reading. I'm about 3/4 of the way through 2005 and have pages of notes.

Anyway.

I clicked a link from one of her posts to an essay on the first step to finding the right agent by author Jennifer Crusie. Go read the article. It's not about the mechanics, like searching through Writer's Market or how to send query letters. Instead, she advises you ask yourself some very specific, touchy-feely questions about who you are as a writer. I'm doing it (and writing my answers down, like the says to), and...wow. I'm starting to understand what it is, deep down, that I like to write. I'm realizing what exactly moves me about the books that influence me.

Don't stop reading! I promise I won't actually tell you this stuff, partly because it's embarassing but mostly because you'd be bored to tears. I feel your disgust. Reading touchy-feely stuff about other peoples' lives (or worse, their 'art') makes me want to stab things into my eyeballs.

No matter where you are in the writing process and whether you'll ever want an agent or not, this article will help you nail down that universal question: Why am I here? At least...you'll be able to nail it down in regard to your writing. As far as why you're here on earth, um, you'll need to navigate away from this blog and do your asking elsewhere.

No comments: