Monday, September 08, 2008

Monday updates

Running update
I ran for 30 minutes straight this morning--wahoo. It was tough going there toward the end, and I'm not sure I even reached 2.5 miles before I did my cooldown, but I ran like crazy for the last two minutes or so, and lengthened my stride. I was like a gazelle, sprinting past the SuperTarget. Ok, not a gazelle. Probably more like an asphyxiated rhino. But I do think I know what people mean when they talk about a "runner's high." Maybe running should be part of drug rehab. The No Boundaries weekly group run is tonight; I think we're doing about 2 miles. The 5K is coming up Oct. 18. It's just now hitting me how close it is and how far I have left to go!

Novel update
# of words: 61,139
# of new scenes written: 0.5
# of pages it took to get main characters out of underground lair: 7
# of early plot devices I totally forgot about: 4
# of words left to go: only about 20,000!
# of years it took to get me to this point: 3

Reading update
I'm about halfway through Twilight, the first book in the super-famous teen vampire series by Stephenie Meyer. Though vampires are totally not my thing, I've been wanting to read more YA books that have become popular--I've got to know my audience, after all. I was also curious to see how Meyer skirted around the sex issue; supposedly there aren't any sex scenes in the books (yay) but they're still romantic. Though I'm not Mormon like Meyer, I am a Christian and find teen sex scenes in YA books (which are inevitably read by tweens, too) kind of repugnant. And against my beliefs, but I'm also a realist. I don't want to write a cheesy, preachy book filled with unrealistic God-Squad goody-goodies. So I'm reading Twilight for research. And entertainment. And it's been entertaining so far, even for a book about vampires. I'll post a review when I'm finished.

Cello update
My first lesson last Wednesday was really cool. Mostly my homework this week was to practice correctly holding the bow, the cello itself, etc. I'm also a pro at playing some Suzuki rhythms on the D string. The cats haven't run, meowing for dear life, under the furniture yet, so I'm taking that as a good sign. Hopefully this week, I'll learn more than one note. Oh, and I'm still conflicted on a name for my cello. It's a girl. I've considered Celeste, or maybe Ruby. Any thoughts?

Weight update
I weigh in today after work, so we'll see how that goes. On my last weigh-in I'd lost a total of 25 lbs. Now if I can just keep that going, only another 25 to go!

Blog update
I've been wanting to rearrange the blog template, but I'm hopeless at HTML. My friend Casey sent me this link, which has awesome stuff for the HTML-impaired. Expect a few layout changes over the next week or two.

3 comments:

Rickelle said...

Wow! You ran this morning and you're going to run again tonight? I'm impressed and inspired.

cerrissa said...

i say Loreley for the cello name. i'm really jealous by the way. i always wanted to play the violin. maybe one day it will happen and then we can play duets :)

Chad Aaron Sayban said...

That's a lot of updates. ;-)