Friday, September 26, 2008

The Neverending Story, Part I

About to start pulling my hair out. You know how I was thisclose to finally being able to start writing the big ending to my novel? Glaring plot holes were gaping at me and I couldn't ignore them. So now I've outlined THREE more scenes that have to be added in order to set up the ending. Arrrggghh. Bleerrchhhgg.

The stupid thing is already at 74,312 words. It's not like I'm writing the next Harry Potter or Eragon here. And I don't think any agent will be interested in representing a Russain-novel-sized YA mystery. Don't see many of those on the market. Maybe I'd be ok if I added a dragon. Or a quest. Or a mage, whatever those are.

Streamlining will come, I know that. It's what the revision process is for. Plus the scenes I'm adding? Kind of exciting. Our heroine will be:
a. discovering a new tunnel in the secret map book
b. attending a frat house band party
c. investingating said tunnel, which is dark and dangerous
d. accosted by homicidal-yet-handsome villain
e. involved in a frantic phone call where she discovers the guy-who-isn't-right-for-her is in trouble, thus leading her to the smash-bang ending with secret lair, burning tower and Final Confrontation.

Whew. If my first drafts clocks in under 90,000 words I'm going to throw myself a party.

2 comments:

Chad in the AZ Desert said...

I like the new scenes you have added. I'm sure it will come together in the revision process. Don't worry about the word count either. Let the story be what it wants to be - make it as good as you can and let the chips fall where they may.

Casey said...

Sounds exciting! Can't wait to say that I personally know a published author!