Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Yo-Yo Me


Today is my very first cello lesson. Yes, friends, I am probably at least three times as old as most beginning cellists, but this does not dampen my excitement about possibly becoming the next Yo-Yo Ma. I've been hankering to take lessons for the past year or so, and now it's finally a reality. My beautiful new(ish) cello is in the photo above. I want to give it a name, but I don't know it well enough yet. Does anybody else name their inanimate objects? My car's name is Sylvia.

The as-yet-unnamed cello is leaning against our lovely shiny black Yamaha upright piano. It, unfortunately, does not have a name. I have a feeling JB thinks my naming obsession is kind of weird.

I had at least 10 years of piano lessons and it will always be my favorite instrument. This, despite the fact that my tough-love piano teacher actually fired me from being her student when I was around 15 for not practicing at least an hour every day. I'd been taking lessons from her since second grade. What can I say? High school was super busy.

I don't hold the firing against her; I was basically wasting her time and my parents' money at that point because I never practiced. But that's the thing about tough teachers. I'd send my kids (if I had any) to take lessons from her in a heartbeat because she was firm and strict and wouldn't let me skate by when I wanted to. I'm indebted to her forever for a thorough grounding in music theory. It's helped me through countless choirs, flute (ugh), music appreciation classes and even a little bit of guitar.

She doesn't get all the credit, though; my mom is an amazing pianist and music teacher. She taught me piano when I was younger, until we both realized I'd do better with more of a scheduled lesson system.

Anyway, all that is to say that I'm pumped about my first cello lesson this afternoon. It feels weird to begin all over again on a new instrument in a way I haven't since I was 5 or 6 years old. My cello teacher is from Turkey, and seems like she won't take any BS or laziness, which makes me happy. Hopefully she won't fire me any time soon.

6 comments:

shannon said...

Cello rocks!!! Did you know I played cello forEVER?! We have too much in common, it's just getting creepy now. Good luck with it!

Becky said...

I always wanted to learn how to play the piano - but an hour a day is just out of the question for me, so I guess it's okay that I never signed up for lessons.

Good luck at your lesson!
:) Becky

Deanna said...

Congratulations! I'm hugely envious--always wanted to play the cello. And yes, she must be named.

Chad Aaron Sayban said...

A beautiful instrument. Good luck with it!

I once named one of my cars "piece of crap." Does that count?

Casey said...

That's awesome! I've always wanted to learn the violin but just don't have the courage (or the time) to pick up another instrument. Can't wait to hear you play!

Irene Latham said...

So impressed that you are taking cello lessons! My son played for several years, then at age 13 moved on to other things. It's been almost 2 years, but I haven't had the heart yet to sell the gorgeous instrument, so it is sitting all silent in my basement, which is so very sad, and one of the things on my bucket list is to learn to play it. Clearly you are a busy gal! I'll be back.