Thursday, October 16, 2008

chicken little

What a great time to be getting a book ready for querying. Apparently people are out there insisting the publishing world as we know it is about to end. Aliens are landing. Barnes & Noble stores are imploding. Librarians are running screaming into the night. People are about to regress; soon we'll all be wondering what a "book" is.

Give me a break. This whole "people won't buy books in a bad economy" thing has been much discussed on the literary agent/editor/author blogs where I lurk. Total crap. I mean, who is really giving some hard facts to back this up? Most of the agents/editors/authors seem cautiously optimistic. It's usually the (NYC-based) media doing all the hating.

And normally I'm not in favor of blaming the media -- being a member of it, and all. But doom and gloom draws eyeballs right now, no denying that. Plus, there are stupid fear-mongering journalists just like there are stupid fear-mongering people in most other professions.

I choose to be optimistic. I think agents and editors will still take chances on unknown writers (me!). Besides, most books bought by publishers right now won't even make it to bookshelves for another couple of years, when we'll hopefully have a better-functioning economy.

Some say eventually we'll all be reading e-books . On our $359 Kindles. I personally prefer a real book made of real paper, but then I'm old-fashioned.

3 comments:

Chad in the AZ Desert said...

I'm with you on reading 'real' books. I spend most of my day at work staring at a computer screen. That last thing I want to do is relax at home by staring at another one. Give me the paper book every time.

Anette J Kres said...

There is nothing more relaxing than curling up in a hammock or on a soft couch with a good book. Computer screens hurt my eyes after awhile, plus I just like turning the pages. There's some satisfaction in holding a good story in your hands.

I with the hopeful optamistic crowd. Mostly, because I know that no matter how bad the economy gets, I'm still going to want good books, and I know there are plenty of folks out there just like that.

Deanna said...

Hardcover is the only format likely to be affected. People still love their little luxuries, even more so in times of economic distress, and a paperback book is sometimes just the thing to make you feel good when you can't afford a new pair of shoes. That's the whole principal behind the Lipstick Effect. (And my agent just called on five different publishers who all told her the same thing, so I refuse to worry!)