Monday, October 20, 2008

I did it!


My first 5K on Saturday was a blast. And...I ran the whole thing! No walk breaks!! (though I did pause for about five seconds at the water table at the 2-mile mark).

I finished the 3.1 miles in 39:31. Slow, I know, but incredibly manageable. I actually enjoyed the whole race instead of practically collapsing like I did on the test run last Sunday. I think I could have actually gone even farther.

The above pic is me (on the left) with my friend and running mate Casey (and baby Kate) immediately after we crossed the finish line, in all our sweaty, no-makeup glory. Casey is normally much faster than me, but since she's carrying another little person, she ran at my pace the whole time--and it was so fun!

It's easy to see how people get addicted to races. You feel super awesome the whole rest of the day. Now that I know I can do it, the next goal is to pick up the pace and get comfortable with a pace around an 11-minute mile.

The 5K this year raised over $100,000 for breast cancer screening equipment at our local hospital. It was a fun, supportive atmosphere, and the weather could not have been more perfect--clear, sunny and temps in the 50s-60s. JB ran the men's 5K in about 29 minutes, my dad ran the men's and then walked the women's with my mom. JB was there to cheer me across the finish line, which made me feel like a star. I came in 778th out of 1,664 in the women's race (JB pointed out that means I was faster than over half of the other women; unfortunately lots of them were walking...) But it was a great sense of accomplishment. I NEVER would have believed a few months ago that I could run an entire 3.1 miles--and enjoy it.

The 10K training in the spring is looking better and better; there are three 5Ks coming up before Christmas, and JB and I are planning to be there.

Thanks again for all of the well-wishes. The weekend was a rousing success.

4 comments:

Chad in the AZ Desert said...

Awesome! I knew you could do it. It sounds like you had a great time with it and did really well. It also sounds like you are hooked. If you follow the links on my blog, you will find a whole bunch of other runners who love the sport too and love blogging about it. Get some rest and enjoy!

shannon said...

You are amazing, congratulations!! I'm so proud (and jealous) of you!!

Rickelle said...

Yay! I'm so excited for you! And you look amazing! I didn't want to run today but now I feel inspired!

Mary B said...

Good for you! Finishing is such a great feeling. I used to feel that runner's high all day.

Congrats!