Wednesday, October 22, 2008

No key required

This is why I love Deanna Raybourn's blog. She posted today about a YouTube-style site called ExpertVillage, which has how-to videos on just about anything.


So what did I look up? Lockpicking! My main character does it a couple of times in my novel (channeling Nancy Drew, natch) and my descriptions of this process have been kind of vague. Until now.


Lo and behold, a nice man named Jim Koch has Expert Village videos on picking padlocks, deadbolts and other cool stuff.


How to Pick Padlocks -- powered by ExpertVillage.com


Tell me you don't want to go out and do this. I'd feel like a super secret spy with my cool lockpicking tools, crouching at a back door, wearing all black and a ski mask, with only minutes to get in and steal the secret documents, my archnemesis (an evil double agent) due home at any minute... I need a lockpicking kit for Christmas. And also a life.

4 comments:

Mary B said...

What a wonderful site! I'm gonna use this one a lot. I'm a very visual person and love to see things for myself.

!!!!!!

Chad in the Arizona Desert said...

Do they have a how-to video on 'How to fix the economy for dummies?' I would like to send it to my congressman.

Michelle said...

No way! That sounds like the coolest thing ever. I always wanted to pick a lock. Or hotwire a car or some other cool thing I've seen on TV.

Anette J Kres said...

Oh, now this sounds like an indespensable resource...

There are always things my characters can do that I actually can't.

Good deal!