Friday, October 17, 2008

Ready and set

It's the day before my first 5K. Probably don't need to tell you I'm both excited and nervous. Nervous? I know, that's weird. After all, I'm not trying to win anything and nobody's judging me, but I'm still nervous.

So I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to post some of the awesome encouragement and running tips I've gotten from you guys over the past week or two. You all rock.

"Good luck with your first 5k. Just start out nice and easy and enjoy every minute of your first race. Trust me, you will be hooked afterward."
--Chad

"Just wait, you'll be amazed at what the energy of everyone around you can do to make you run the whole thing! You can do it!"
--Casey

"The trick to hills is to take teeny tiny strides so it feels more like u are running on a flat surface and less like u are climbing a mountain ;) u will feel like u are going at a snail's pace but u will make it without being as tired."
--Cerrissa (our high school cross-country star)

"You are so ready for the 5K on Saturday. You know what to expect now and you're going to crush that course. Looking forward to training with you for the 10K next!"
--Anita, my running buddy

"Just get out there and do your best for that day. We all have good days and better days; it ebbs and flows. Just focus on that day."
--JB

"You are kicking tail with the running, girl!!"
--Shannon

I love, love all of you, and words like these make my day better!

What Chad said about just enjoying every minute of the race has been floating around in my brain this past week. I've made that my new goal. Everything else will come from that.

**Update: Just received this quote in an email from the head of my 5K training program. Too perfect:

"I love the feeling of freedom in running, the fresh air, the feeling that the only person I'm competing with is me. "
--Wilma Rudolph, who during the 1960 Olympics, became the first American woman to win three track and field gold medals during a single Olympic Games. And she did it on a sprained ankle.

1 comment:

Chad in the AZ Desert said...

Good luck. You will love it!