Monday, October 27, 2008

A Room of One's Own



Oh my holy wow.

I. Want. This. In my back yard. Then I will quit my day job and go there every day to write.

Click here for incredibly delicious author-inspired garden houses. The one above is my future author's retreat. Which will be in my back yard. It's inspired by Virginia Woolf's tool shed. There's an adorable blue one modeled after George Bernard Shaw's garden's summerhouse, but I prefer Virginia's tool shed. She apparently hosted parties there, too. I will curl up here to read:



Then I'll do some writing here:


Except, hang on. That stool looks kinda uncomfortable. And we'll go ahead and swap out that bottle and the unappetizing-looking bread for a big mug of coffee and a cinnamon scone. And get a cuter lamp. And one of my old-fashioned typewriters would look perfect there, but my novel's progress would dwindle to about three words per day. Better add the laptop instead.

The fact that the company who makes these lovely prefab buildings is located in the UK in a town called Thrapston, or that Virginia's tool shed costs nearly 10,000 GBP (which is probably a gazillion dollars) does not diminish my love for this house.

Nor does the fact that we already have a charming, one-of-a-kind, spider-infested treehouse built by our home's previous crafty and child-having owners.

Still...this makes me reconsider that treehouse. Currently my author's retreat is the recliner. So anything, really, would be a step up.

2 comments:

Chad in the Arizona Desert said...

You are right about one thing, that's a lot of money (about $25,000) for a pretty looking shed. It would probably get really hot inside in the summer here in the desert. It looks pretty cool though.

Mary B said...

Hmmm, it's adorable, but I can't figure out where the cats and rabbits hang out while I write? They're my helpers you know.

But anything is better with a mug of coffee and cinnamon scone.