Friday, November 07, 2008

Amazing

I work at a mid-sized paper. In the very red state of Alabama. Our paper had a big photo of the Obamas on the cover on Wednesday (probably like most other papers in the country) and a jubliant headline. We had extensive election coverage yesterday. Today we're selling laminated posters of the Obama cover for a few dollars--and there is a GIANT LINE OF PEOPLE in our foyer. It's raining cats and dogs today, we're in a state candidates never visit beause we always go Republican, and there is a huge line of people waiting to buy posters of Barack Obama.

We employees actually had to brave the rain and move our cars to the end of the parking lot to accommodate all the people pulling in to get their posters. Plus we did extra print runs of Wednesday's paper and they sold like hotcakes.

I usually never talk specifics about my job on this blog because I think that's generally an unprofessional thing to do. But I couldn't help it today. I'm proud of my paper for its great coverage, but what's more amazing is the kind of passion Obama evokes in people. I wonder if it was like this when Kennedy was elected, but I wasn't alive then so I wouldn't know. I think the response to President-Elect Obama might be much, much bigger.

I don't like to get too political on the blog, but I will say this: I can't wait to see what he'll do as president.

Meanwhile, the crowd in our foyer sounds like it's growing.

To see covers from around the country on the day after the election, click here.

No comments: