Tuesday, November 04, 2008

I voted


JB and I just finished voting. Several of my coworkers waited an hour and a half or more this morning, but we only had to wait in line about 20 minutes. Although apparently our polling place (a local Baptist church) had lines stretched all the way around the building both ways this morning at 7 a.m.

I know those states who allow early voting are probably much more efficient, but there's something exciting about standing in line on just one day with lots of people I don't know to participate in an event so important --and one that many other people around the world don't get to enjoy--that makes me glad Alabama has just one voting day.



I like pictures of people standing in line to vote. They make me smile, and give me goosebumps. (silly, I know). Maybe it's because pictures of ordinary Americans waiting to vote emphasize how we're all in this together, no matter our economic status, race, gender, political preference or anything else--we're all standing in line for the same reason. Click here for a cool slide show of people voting around the country.

And for the first time, JB and I didn't cancel out each other's vote for president. On my ballot, I voted for about half Republicans and half Democrats. Guess I'm a full-fledged Independent now.


4 comments:

shannon said...

I totally know what you mean about the elecation-day-warm-fuzzies. I got all excited this morning standing in line with a few hundred strangers. I totally took some pictures too!

shannon said...

Uhhh, and by "elecation" i mean election. :)

Chad in the Arizona Desert said...

Awesome! It is great to see so many Americans stepping up and voting this election. The early voting is a little weird. I voted almost three weeks ago...but it's still exciting. I'll be glued to the tv all night.

Mary B said...

I always vote on election day. My family thinks I'm weird and they're probably right, but there is just something cool about doing all official and stuff. Plus I always take my kids with me so they can watch me vote. To them it is just something that adults all do. I hope they always think that way.