Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Something's fishy

When I was writing my first draft, I would throw in sentences in ALL CAPS that described stuff that needed to be added later. The caps make it obvious where the extra info is needed when I'm scrolling through the document.

In hindsight, putting sentences in my novel like "BLAH BLAH DIALOGUE HERE ABOUT WHY SHE MIGHT HAVE KILLED HIM BLAH BLAH" probably wasn't the best idea.

(INSERT FOREHEAD SMACK HERE)

Now I have to go back and figure out a plausible reason why a secondary character (who is quickly becoming more fascinating) might have wanted my dead body dead.

It's probably obvious to you at this point that she's not the killer. I'm not writing a whodunit with a cast of suspects, but I do need to beef up my red herrings...or do I mean "fish up" since herrings are fish...?

Asking a simple question like "Why would a college student want her ex-boyfriend dead?" has opened up a whole new can of worms. (har har...worms? fish? herring? get it??)

How would she have killed him?
And why that way?
Maybe she didn't kill him but she's more involved in the conspiracy than she lets on.
Then did she help the killers in some way? Why?
Was Dead Body (before he died) was responsible for those reputation-shattering rumors about her?
What exactly are the rumors?
Why would he have spread them?
Was he trying to blackmail her into revealing what she knows about the scandal?
What exactly did she know about the scandal?
What would he have to say that would make her want to tell him what she knows, in order for him to publicly deny the rumors?
Plus how would Dead Body even know that she knew something worth blackmailing her about in the first place?
Are you still reading this?
Does your head hurt now?

Mine does.

Is this evidence of poor plotting? (OMG I can't stop with the questions...I'm practically vomiting questions now.) My main plot structure is OK, but I think it could be better with this sideline added. I just don't want to tack it on like a wonky third arm.

Anyway. This rambling post succeeded in pushing this morning's depressing post off the top of the blog (and also in making me feel slightly ridiculous). As an added bonus, and for your viewing pleasure, here is a herring:


At least it's not as creeptastic as those fish that live at the bottom of the ocean. I just googled them, thinking I'd post a pic, and OH HOLY GOODNESS I almost died of terror. View at your own risk. Seriously. My heart is still pounding.

I think I need to go look at some fluffy kitties right now.

Whew. All is right with the world again.

1 comment:

shannon said...

You are cracking me up!! Those viper fish are super creepy, for real.