Wednesday, November 19, 2008

There will be casseroles

I'm not crazy, I swear. Pinkie swear. With a cherry on top.

I just signed up today to run a 5K on Thanksgiving morning.

I KNOW. I'm really not that person. You know, the one whose Facebook status says something like "Disappointed with my 23-minute, 19.7-mile run up the mountain this morning, but the sunrise was breathtaking." I'm not that girl.

There's a method to the madness here. If I run 3.1 miles at 8 a.m. Thanksgiving morning, guess what I get to do with waaay less guilt later in the day? Stuff my face, that's what.

My mom makes a sweet potato casserole that is HEAVEN. And casseroles, as I discovered at this week's Weight Watchers meeting, are not points-friendly. Or thighs-friendly. Or butt-friendly. Or, well, you get my point.

So JB and I will be out on Thanksgiving morning with all the other crazies. I'll be running my butt off so I can pack it back on later.

But let me say this: I am NOT encouraging crazy exercise as an excuse to binge on casseroles. But 5Ks, I've found, are actually kind of fun, and I intend to enjoy being outside with the hubby. I'm not trying to set any records. And later that day, the goal is to fill my plate with more reasonable portions of casseroles.
(But 1/3 cup portions, seriously? C'mon WW, quit hating on cream of mushroom soup and french-fried onions.)

4 comments:

Chad in the Arizona Desert said...

Very cool signing up for a Thanksgiving Day 5k. They are always a lot of fun. We have a local 10-mile/5k race near our home every year and it gets a big turnout. Everyone is always having so much fun at that race. I think it is the joy of having a Thursday away from work.

Have fun...and we want a complete report. ;-)

shannon said...

You are awesome! That's great - plus I'm jealous of your guilt-free turkey-day eating. :) Maybe I can force Nathan to take a Thanksgiving morning walk with me or something.

Kimberley Griffiths Little said...

Hi AC - or Anna Claire! Love your name. I had to come snooping on your blog after you posted a comment on mine. Great blog!

And I want a recipe for that sweet potato casserole that is HEAVEN itself. Does your mama share? ;-D

Good luck on the 5K. Yep, you're crazy, girl!

ricericebaby said...

I think it is a fabulous idea!! There's nothing going on in the morning except football and cooking and I personally would skip out on both of those ;)

1/3 of a cup?? Seriously...? How many servings of 1/3 of a cup can you have ;)

Everyone loves 5K's -- especially the tee-shirts!

xoxox