Thursday, December 11, 2008

Big stack o' pages

I finished my first-round manuscript edit on the computer, and had the thing printed so I can go through it on paper. That's my novel above, all 312 pages of it. I was sort of giddy when the Kinko's guy handed it to me in a neat little cardboard box. I carried it in my lap all the way home.

Funny story: the Kinko's guy who copied it was African-American. This did not register as anything important until I was in the car and JB mentioned that the Kinko's guy had commented that a few of the pages had different/larger fonts, and was that ok? I was like, oh sure. In the novel, I put newspaper "headlines" in a different font just to differentiate them. And then I remembered: a couple of those headlines have the word "negro" in them. One has "KKK." I really, really hope the guy didn't think I was printing some kind of racist manifesto or something. The central mystery in my novel concerns a crime committed on the university campus in the 1960s and blamed on a black man. The newspaper articles are from the 1960s, hence the use of a word I would ordinarily never use. I'm probably worrying about nothing (surely he's seen crazier stuff?), but still I hope he wasn't offended.

Anyway. Just in case you're squinting at the blurry image above, I have no title. It just says "Title Goes Here" by Anna Claire Vollers. So creative! (JB actually thought that was a cool title for another book at another time, but definitely not for this one.)


I was just going to photograph the actual manuscript, but JB insisted I pose with it like a big dork. I look like I belong on an infomercial: "Attention all agents! What we have here today is a lovely piece of young adult fiction by a fresh, up-and-coming writer. It can be yours! She's standing by to take your calls, so don't let this opportunity pass you by. Order now!"

We have a new camera, and I still need to figure out how to work the red-eye reducer. I have blue eyes, so I look Satanic in most of my pictures. Sorry about that.

I'm hoping to give the manuscript to my "beta" readers soon, which is exciting for me. I think it's exciting for them, but of course I could be mistaken...

On another note, here is (what I think is) a hilarious cartoon. Found it on Moon Rat's fab blog; it's from Language Log:



8 comments:

Chad in the AZ Desert said...

Great job with the manuscript. Good luck with the editing.

shannon said...

BAHAHA, that cartoon is HYSTERICAL!

Congratulations on the manuscript - that's an impressive stack! It is exciting; I can't wait to read it.

Kasie West said...

Hey, I just read your paragraph on Nathan's blog and I liked it very much. It was funny. Just thought I'd drop by and tell you. Congrats on printing out your manuscript and hopefully you didn't offend said Kinko's worker. That would be quite embarrassing.

Just_Me said...

Another Alabama writer! Hooray!

Congrats on getting your manuscript printed out for edits, that's always exciting :o)

Christy Raedeke said...

Ah, there's nothing quite like seeing it all printed out! It's beautiful...

Alexa said...

Hi
Thank you so much for dropping by and leaving a comment. the entry is the first piece of writing I've ever shown anyone (unrelated to me) so to be in the final six and to read all the lovely comments is so exciting!

Congratulations on your manuscript and good luck with the edits!

Loved the cartoon!

Casey said...

I'm so proud of you! That's awesome. And you totally have to do the cheesy photo of holding the manuscript - it's basically required!

Can't wait to read it. I'll have 12 whole weeks of reading time starting in March (yippee)!

ern said...

ok, i'm just a random commenter who found your blog through the pioneer woman site...but i just had to give you kudos on the cartoon. being a bit of an english nerd myself i chuckled at this probably longer than was necessary.