Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Birthday felicitations, Jane!


Today is Jane Austen's birthday--she's 133! Any time I get asked my favorite author, I always think, well I like so-and-so now, but will I like her/him in 10 years? 50 years? In most cases the answer is probably no, but I'm certain that should I live to be 105, I'll still love Jane Austen.

Here's some interesting biographical info courtesy of my daily The Writer's Almanac e-mail:

It's the birthday of Jane Austen, (books by this author) born in Hampshire, England (1775).

Jane Austen published her books anonymously; the byline stated that the book was by "a Lady." Not many people read her books while she was alive, though she had a small, devoted readership. She died in 1817.

Five decades later, her nephew published A Memoir of Jane Austen (1869), which generated widespread interest in his aunt and led to the reprinting of her novels. It touched off a sort of mania for Jane Austen in the 1880s, known as "Austenolatry."

But it wasn't until the 1940s -- more than 100 years after she died -- that Austen's work became the focus of substantial academic scholarship. Austen is now standard reading on high school and college curricula.

In honor of dear Jane's birthday, click below to find out which Jane Austen heroine you are. I'm....

I am Elinor Dashwood!
Take the Quiz here!

I actually felt like this quiz was spot-on, if you're honest with yourself. Most of us probably secretly want to be Lizzy, of course, but the truth is that I better relate with Elinor, and anyway she's totally awesome. So go on, take the quiz and tell me who you are!

3 comments:

BBJD said...

It says I'm Marianne Dashwood. Is that good or bad?

I have never read Jane Austin.

(I suppose that means I can't visit again until I have?)

meili_lo said...

i appreciate the info I read about your favorite author, but I'm sorry I don't know her or read her books... reading is my weakness. I do read but just short ones :o(

anyway, I'm inviting you to visit my blog and share what's on your mind.. would really appreciate it if you can.

thanks!

http://shewritesyouwrite.blogspot.com/

Michelle said...

Catherine Morland, apparently. I've read Northanger Abbey but it wasn't one of my favourites at all!