Tuesday, December 02, 2008

My new speed secret

Maybe you were wondering about that 5K that JB and I ran on Thanksgiving morning. (you probably weren't wondering but I'll tell you anyway.) I improved my time over my first 5K from back in October by....

are you ready for this?

Walking. Yeah. I was lazy and took about a million walk breaks during the measley 3.1 miles, and shaved 2 1/2 minutes off my previous time (when I took no walk breaks). Which leads me to wonder...seriously, how slow was I running the first time? Inordinately slow.

JB and I are doing the Jingle Bell Run 5K this Friday night. One of my running buddies got us all "Vixen" t-shirts to wear. (Just the girls. You'd have to pay JB an awful lot of money before he'd wear a pink Vixen shirt, and frankly none of us has that kind of cash. What with the recession and all.)

Apparently other runners will also be sporting antlers, santa hats, etc. but I draw the line at pink Vixen t-shirts. A girl's gotta have standards.

P.S. I'd really like to know: Do you think this blog is too messy? Too cluttered? Does the three-column format make it hard to read? I've been pondering returning to the tw0-column format and I'd love to know what you think.

6 comments:

Chad in the Arizona Desert said...

With distance running, more often than not, if you start out conservatively (your early walk breaks) you will be able to maintain your pace much better through the whole race distance. You really can't 'bank time' early in the race. If you go out too fast, the crash at the end will cost you far more time than you gain early.

I think the format looks good. You might soften the background color to make it a bit easier on the eyes than the plain white. Just a thought.

fairyhedgehog said...

I love the clean white look.

The right hand column is wrong on my pc though, it appears to the right but starts below the end of the middle column. Perhaps because I use Firefox?

Marty said...

Great for you for running - I am going to be doing the "Frosty Footrace" where I live (north of Siberia - but south of Wisconsin.)

As for you blog layout I did not see your old page but this one looks good.

Tracy Marchini said...

I'll be doing a 10K on Saturday...

... maybe I'll just walk the whole thing! :)

Lizzy said...

I love that you are a runner but I really love that you are wearing a Vixon shirt! Hilarious! Make sure you take pictures :)

I'm not a fan of the 3 column, but that's just me.

xoxxo

Casey said...

I personally like the 3-column look!!