Wednesday, January 14, 2009

(Insert quote from Queen's 'Bicycle Race' here)

I can't believe I haven't posted about this yet. On Christmas morning a few weeks ago, I came downstairs to find this:




My very own vintage yellow bicycle! The photo doesn't really do justice to its cuteness. It's a Schwinn Breeze from the 1960s or 70s, with almost all original parts!

There's just something about old things that makes me excited. I'd been talking about how much I wanted a vintage yellow bicycle (and it had to be yellow, my fav color) for months before Christmas, but doubted I'd get one. I figured I'd have to spend months trolling eBay after Christmas. But JB did the work for me, got this one on eBay, kept it hidden in our garage and worked on it while I was at work. I had no idea he knew anything about refurbishing old bicycles. He even replaced the rusted fenders with shiny new ones. Boy, are they shiny.

I'm hoping to get a bike basket for it soon, and maybe a little bell. I can imagine myself wearing a fluttering sundress and pedaling my bicycle to an open-air market to buy ingredients for dinner, which I would then carry back in the wicker basket on front...(unfortunately there's not an open-air market near our house, and January is not a good time to wear fluttering sundresses).

To (literally) illustrate how long I've wanted a vintage yellow bicycle, check out the blog header: it's there! And now a real one is tucked safely in our garage, awaiting a bit of minor repair to the chain and gears.

It was hands-down the best Christmas present ever. I've named the bicycle Lucille.

11 comments:

Chad in the AZ Desert said...

Wow, I can't believe you could even find one of those still in working condition. Awesome! Have fun with it.

Justus M. Bowman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Justus M. Bowman said...

Very nice. I'm a fan of bicycles.

fairyhedgehog said...

What a wonderful present! Let's hope it won't be too long before you can get out there in fluttering sundresses to get the dinner.

Becky said...

So cute!

BBJD said...

I have this wonderful picture in my head of you tooling down the road on your yellow bicyle with a cat in the basket and the bell dinging away.

Perfection.

shannon said...

Haha - that's awesome!!

Casey said...

So neat! Good job JB!

Barrie said...

Lucille is adorable. I'm looking forward to reading about your adventures together!

Michelle said...

I would have SQUEELED if I'd come down the stairs to find Lucille waiting for me!

Crimogenic said...

That's nice bike. The fact that it's yellow too, seals the deal.