Friday, January 30, 2009

Lampistry: the art of decorating lamps

Now that I've sent out my first batch of queries, I freak out a little every time I open my e-mail. Which is probably once every 30 minutes. Does anyone else do this?

In other news, this site is completely awesome. It's called Save the Words, and you can peruse a cool Flash-y page and adopt an obscure word. You promise to use it in sentences, etc., to save it from being dropped from the dictionary. It's wordly nerdly fun at its best.

The site even has ideas for how to use your word: give your sweetie a pet name like "Mulcible," dazzle your friends at Scrabble (I suck at Scrabble, to my everlasting shame. My engineer math-brained husband is better than I am. Oh the humiliation...), or insert it into your texts and e-mails.

I'm thinking of adopting pigritude, which means laziness. I like words that can apply to my life.

P.S. Someone should adopt lampistry because that's a cool word.

8 comments:

Justus M. Bowman said...

"Which is probably once every 30 minutes. Does anyone else do this?"

I did for my first batch, but I think I've cooled down a bit since then. We'll see since I just sent out seven queries.

beth said...

I love that site!

And I sent queries out a week or two ago, and have been constantly checking the in box every two second after that. I will continue to do so until I get a response from each of the 20 or so agents I queried....I can't help it!!

Crimogenic said...

I think the first day I sent out queries I was checking my e-mail every five minutes. I definitely was logged on all day. Eventually, you cool down, and check it less frequently. :)

Kiersten said...

Oh, I check my email constantly. Comes with the territory, I think.

And I am going to that website right now!

PurpleClover said...

Yep, when I sent out my first batch I checked and checked and checked. Best time to send queries is during the holidays...then you get automatic responses about being closed for the holidays but it gives you a lil' kick of adrenaline each time...lol.

Can I adopt 'Blogohol'?? I know it's not in the dictionary but I'm pretty sure I can use it in a sentence each day. :)

Bevie said...

"I suck at Scrabble, to my everlasting shame. My engineer math-brained husband is better than I am. Oh the humiliation"

What you have to remember about Scrabble is - it isn't about words. It's about winning.

Nixy Valentine said...

Uhh, no. I don't do that. Now, excuse me while I go check my email. I could have SWORN I heard the mail thing ding.

Stephanie Perkins said...

Ooo, if I weren't so prone to pigritude, I would totally adopt this word:

panchymagogue -- medicine purging body fluids from body

I LOVE gross stuff like that. Hee hee!

And what are you talking about, obsessive email-checking?? NO! I've NEVER done that! NEVER! Crazy girl.

Never.

I mean, I'm DEFINITELY not about to go check it now...

(Good luck with your queries! My fingers are crossed for you.)