Thursday, March 12, 2009

7 Ways + inspiration boards

I'm ganking this from Deanna Raybourn's blog, but CHECK OUT THIS POSTER:




*raising hand* I'm so guilty of every one of these things.


The poster is by Christine Kane from the fabulous Living a Beautiful Life blog. Click poster to go to the direct post about it.

1-4 are calling my name because I do each of those every time I sit down to write. Seriously. I didn't realize how harmful those things can be, but Kane is absolutely right. They're counterproductive and they kill creativity. I need to hang this poster up in my home office or make it my desktop.

In that vein, I'd like to create inspiration boards for my next novel, with photos and words and phrases to inspire me and help me stay focused on what I want the end result to look like. I was kinda iffy on whether inspiration boards were really helpful until I posted about abandoned houses and these photos actually inspired my next book:

Coker Creek

The Sankey House


See more abandoned houses here. I love this umbrella, this bookcase, and the utter creepiness of shots like this one. I could browse those photos for hours. (And probably will; I need to fill those boards.)

You can see some cool inspiration boards in this Flickr group. The Inspiration Boards Blog has some awesome art. Do you do inspiration boards for your stories? How do you do it? And if you've ever posted your inspiration boards, let me know because I'd love to see them.

18 comments:

Bevie said...

Put me right there with you on 1-4.

When I was young, my family used to drive the countryside. When we found an abandoned house we would stop and explore.

Fascinating.

I would love to explore the house in red.

Christy Raedeke said...

LOVE that poster. I just made it my desktop background.

Also love the idea of an inspiration board. I could see doing one as sort of a visual outline for the WIP I'm currently working on, which involves many different places. I am unable to work with a written outline but I could definitely see working with a visual one.

Thanks for the inspiration!

vdoprincess said...

thanks for the shoutout! I'm so glad you linked me, because I'm loving your abandoned houses. :D

vdoprincess said...

thanks for the shoutout! I'm so glad you linked me, because I'm loving your abandoned houses. :D

vdoprincess said...

thanks for the shoutout! I'm so glad you linked me, because I'm loving your abandoned houses. :D

Kate Karyus Quinn said...

Great pictures, and I love the poster! Not only am I super guilty of number one, but now also after check email I also have to check message boards and blogs. It is an endless procrastination spiral.

Litgirl01 said...

Oh yeah, inspiration boards...great idea! I know what I'm doing this weekend. LOL

Kristy Colley said...

Guilty, guilty, and...guilty.

Ashley said...

I love that poster! Now I'm wishing I had an office so I could put it directly in my line of vision when I sit down to write. I think I'm guilty of every single one!

And an inspiration board sounds GREAT. I never thought of that...but how great would it be to stare at something like that every now and then as you're writing and THEN you'd have a huge memento for each book when you're done. I'm coming up with all sorts of things I could put on one for my own WIP...

Ashley said...

P.s. That second house pic is awesome by the way. Good luck with your new idea!

jason evans said...

I'm totaly enamored with abandoned houses also.

(Hence my avatar. It was taken with infrared black & white film.)

Very cool!

TERI REES WANG said...

Although I am a sucker for some good old sarcasm, I will still promote the topic of speaking with in the Laws of Attraction. Change our native tongue so that we may taste the sweet life.

Express what we want,
....not what we don't.

susan said...

Hi Anna, wasn't sure if you'd check back at Lenore's. I responded to your issue comment:

You might enjoy Black Like Me by John Howard Griffin , Kindred by Octavia E. Butler and A Wish After Midnight by Zetta Elliot. All are appropriate for high school.

PurpleClover said...

Wow this post was so useful! I had never thought of doing an inspiration board but now I think I must!!! I need to send my sis over to read this post. I think it would help!

And Bevie - I must say, I think you have the coolest family ever! Why didn't my family ever have us stop to explore old abandoned houses?! How cool is that?! WOW!

PurpleClover said...

Oh and I forgot to mention - LOVE the pic!!!

Katie said...

I'm loving this idea! I especially love the red house. creepy cool...

NOw I need to go look for some inspiration of my own :-)

writtenwyrdd said...

Yes, I am all those things, too. I curse wireless internet for the temptation, too. But it also brings Pandora radio.

Love those house pictures. I think abandoned things are both poignant and evocative.

Crimogenic said...

I have never had an inspirational board, but it sounds like a cool idea. Especially for my next novel, because I'm finding that I sometimes need a little inspiration.