Wednesday, March 11, 2009

DNA testing strikes again


(Czar Nicholas II, from left, daughters Olga, Maria, wife Alexandra, children Anastasia, Alexei and Tatiana in 1917.)

Because my next novel (probably) takes place shortly after WWI, a tweet by editor Sarah Weinman (@saraw) drew my attention this morning. CNN reports that DNA tests prove all of Czar Nicholas' family were executed by the Bolsheviks in 1918 during the Russian Revolution.

Nicholas II was the last emeror of Russia during a gorgeous and turbulent time. The Romanovs are fascinating anyway, and the mystery about whether the Czar's son Alexei or his daughter Maria actually escaped asassination made the story that much more compelling.

Sigh. Some of the romance and mystery are gone. On the bright side, it's thoroughly satisfying when real-life mysteries are conclusively solved.

Now if someone would just figure out what happened to Amelia Earhart, I'd be happy.

Anyone else? What are your favorite real-life unsolved mysteries?

10 comments:

beth said...

This has been one of my fav unsolved mysteries....hmm...I guess I'd say the legend of Atlantis now....

Bevie said...

What happened to the Roanoke Colony?

Is that Noah's Ark they found in Turkey?

What was the point of the Nazca Lines?

Who was my Daddy's daddy?

Jen said...

Roanoke, Atlantis and Shangri-la. Also, the Spear of Destiny and the Judas Chalice. :)

PurpleClover said...

Atlantis and the Lost Ark of the Covenant.

Christy Raedeke said...

-Who really shot JFK?
-Who really stole the Lindbergh baby?
-Where's Osama?
-Why do people thing Anoop is one of the top 13 singers in the US?

SO many mysteries!

Anna Claire said...

The Lindberg baby! I totally forgot! I read a fascinating book about it; the author thinks it was Mrs. Lindberg's disturbed sister. It was probably aliens. The same ones who built the pyramids and kidnapped Elvis.

Crimogenic said...

This could be just me, but I'm totally buying the aliens theory.

Litgirl01 said...

LOL Crime! I really think that Rasputin was an alien...so it's certainly plausible.

S said...

The most interesting theory I have ever read about the Lindbergh baby is that Charles himself was responsible for the baby's death during a prank gone horribly wrong. That's what is so great about these unsolved mysteries: the longer they go, the more fantastic the possible scenarios become.

Tara Maya said...

I watched a show on the woman claiming to be Anastasia which included a DNA test that proved her to be the escapee from the mental asylum. Sigh. So disappointing. But the story plot is still a good one, well worth stealing, and I plan to use it one of these days.