Monday, March 09, 2009

I heart the Bettys



I won both Triple Shot Betty books (by Jody Gehrman) from On My Bookshelf over Valentine's Day with my story of how JB proposed. I finished the first, Confessions of a Triple Shot Betty, in just a couple of days. I'm saving the second for when I need a fun read after I finally get through Donna Tartt's The Little Friend, which is awesome but not exactly light fare.

Confessions was fun! It's a great YA read with a totally likeable, relatable heroine and a madcap plot with pool parties, romance, cute boys and riding around in mom's car all summer.

Here's the plot, courtesy of Amazon: "Geena can’t wait to spend summer vacation at the Triple Shot Betty coffee shop with her best friend, Amber, and her cousin, Hero. But Amber and Hero hate each other on sight, and Geena’s dreams of a girl-bonding summer fly out the window—then vanish entirely when a few cute (okay, drop-dead gorgeous) guys enter the picture. All is not what it seems, though, and in a story of mistaken identities, summer high jinks, and just enough romance, Geena and her friends learn that when Bettys unite, they can take on the most powerful force in their world: a hot guy."

It's an updated, girl-power version of Much Ado About Nothing. It even sticks surprisingly close to that plot (except Shakespeare didn't know about MySpace), which I loved because that's my favorite Shakespeare comedy. Geena's real name is Beatrice, Amber's real name is Margaret, and Hero is, well, Hero. This time, though, Geena is an everygirl who also happens to be a skater girl, Amber has made a name for herself as the school slut and Hero is the sweet, innocent little rich girl. Unlikely friends maybe, but the girls all seemed very real to me. They even reminded me of some of the teens I work with in our youth group.

They aren't goody-goodies and the book confronts the real problems of teen sex and how girls are perceived in that light, but I wouldn't hesitate to give the books to any teens at all because it's honest, it never ever gets graphic (read: no sex scenes) and isn't chock full of bad language.

When the three girls finally band together to take down the school hottie who's a total sleaze (with the help of the hilarious slacker buffoons, just like in Shakespeare's play) I cheered for them. The end, while not completely realistic, is exciting and entirely satisfying (more satisfying than Much Ado, in my opinion). I can't wait to read the sequel, Triple Shot Bettys in Love, which just came out in January.

The book probably won't appeal as much to the menfolk, but I adored it. It would make an ideal beach/pool read, and summer is (thankfully) almost here!

6 comments:

writtenwyrdd said...

You made me want to read these books.

Lenore said...

Glad you liked it! These were fun books for sure.

Carrie Harris said...

Much Ado About Nothing is one of my favorite plays, but I hadn't heard about these books yet. I'll be chalking them up on my TBR list.

Well, I won't use chalk, but you get the picture. :)

Crimogenic said...

The book sounds cool. The title is awesome too :)

jason evans said...

Menfolk.... There's a term I don't hear very often. :) Best wishes on your writing.

anna said...

Hey Anna Claire! How are you? So glad I got to see you when little Kate arrived! I'm coming back (for the 3rd time since) next weekend! :)

Thanks for writing on my blog, I'm glad you like the desktops! These books sound so good, I think I will get it for my vaca!