Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Ready to run (again)

Tonight is my first group run for the 10K training program that JB and I joined. I'm excited, but nervous, too. When I did the 5K training last fall, there were tons of people who were at my level of running (nonexistant) and many who weighed much more than I did, so I never felt very selfconscious.

We had our informational meeting for the 10K training last week--ther are about 40 of us, broken into three groups. When a few people were asked to stand up and talk about why they joined the program, I expected to hear reasons similar to my own: I want to improve my running, keep physically fit, and most of all prove to myself I can actually run 6.2 miles.

But most of the people gave reasons more along the lines of:
"I've already run a few half-marathons and I want to learn new running tips."
"I want to keep myself more accountable so I won't slack off with my running."

The second was from a girl in the tiniest shorts imaginable who probably weighed about 1/2 what I weigh. Her husband runs marathons.

I have no problem with skinny half-marathon runners in tiny shorts. But that's so far above my fitness level right now that I hope there are at least some people in the group who are a little bit more like me. The 5K training program had such a fun, supportive atmosphere, with a "running is hard but we're all in it together" attitude that made everything less intimidating.

The good thing is, I have the same coach (who is awesome) who coached my 5K training group, and a friend from that group (plus another girl I know) are in my group this time. Our group is doing 4-and-1s tonight for three miles (run 4 minutes, walk 1 minute) which is definitely doable. The weather is even nice today.

Plus, JB is doing this with me. Even though he's in a faster group than me (I'm in the slowest--woot woot!) it's nice to have someone else who'll be training as hard as me. Size 8 pants, here I come :)

P.S. For inspiration on kicking butt, check out the Badass of the Week (via Jackson at WatchMeBe). It's got some bad language but this crazy Greek guy is an inspiration to butt-kickers everywhere. The first sentence says it all: "What do you get when you cross Jesse James, Robin Hood, and Jack Bauer in the body of a giant, bearded, bald Greek man?Meet Vassilis Paleokostas."

7 comments:

Chad in the AZ Desert said...

Don't worry too much about the motivations of the other runners. Keep in mind that running with better runners is going to make you a better runner. Have fun with it and I'm sure you are going to do great in your 10k.

Davin Malasarn said...

Running is so hard for me. I'd rather do weights or yoga or cycling or swimming. ANYTHING but running. So, I admire anyone who goes for it. Happy training!

Justus M. Bowman said...

I'm with Davin: cycling > running. That or I'm < a runner.

Ashley said...

Good luck!

I hate running with a passion, so I admire anyone who can run marathons. Give me Turbo Jam or dance aerobics any day, but NEVER make me run!

Becky aka StinkyLemsky said...

I was amazed at the difference in participants when I ran my first 10K! I had done 2 5Ks up to that point and thought there would be more people like me (I had the same reasons you did).

Well, my sister and I (she was my training partner) came in almost dead last... there was only one person who finished after us! Oh well, I was happy to finish regardless. :)

Litgirl01 said...

Wow! I am impressed! I don't think I could run to my mailbox.
:-) I've seen your posts in the blogs that I read...so I thought I would stop by and say hello. :-)

Crimogenic said...

AC,

You're not alone. I'm in the slow group of my running group. Of course my group is me and N. I'm very slow and N runs marathons.

But the benefit of training with someone faster than you is that it forces you to pull yourself just a little bit more.