Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Rick-a-mania

Apparently I'm like a year behind, but has anyone ever heard of rickrolling?

Mwah ha ha!! I just rickrolled you if you clicked that link! Get it? Get it....? No?

Ok, I wouldn't have gotten it either until about 10 minutes ago. (If you did get it, you're officially much cooler than me. Not hard to do, but an accomplishment nonetheless.) I saw this post on Cake Wrecks and had to investigate. If people are making rickroll cakes, obviously I am out of the loop.

So here is the actual link to the Wikipedia page explaining rickrolling (no fooling this time), and here is an excerpt:

"Rickrolling is an Internet meme typically involving the music video for the 1987 Rick Astley song "Never Gonna Give You Up". The meme is a bait and switch: a person provides a web link that he or she claims is relevant to the topic at hand, but the link actually takes the user to the Astley video. The URL can be masked or obfuscated in some manner so that the user cannot determine the true destination of the link without clicking. When a person clicks on the link and is led to the web page, he or she is said to have been "Rickrolled" (also spelled Rickroll'd)."

Now I'm kind of glum that I've never been rickrolled. Bad 80s pop is forever a good way to brighten your day.








10 comments:

Justus M. Bowman said...

I'm too cool for school.

Jen said...

Oh, so THAT'S what it means...I was wondering...thanks for sharing!

Crimogenic said...

oh, that's just plain mean :)

Bevie said...

I'm old. I don't understand.

Never heard of "Rick Astley".

Irene Latham said...

This is sad, but never heard of this! Thanks for the education. :)

Katie said...

I feel so cool now! I might even have to write that term in a book :-)

Barrie said...

Too fun!!

Shelli said...

learn somethign new everyday!

Bevie said...

Hi Ac! Bevie here.

I'm just letting you know that Blogger is being mean to me again. It's removing me from other bloggers' Following lists.

I am still Following your blog, and new posts are still showing up in my Reading List.

Just so you know.

Jennifer Hudson Taylor said...

I've never heard of the term. So I guess that makes me more uncool.