Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Secret love

Everyone needs at least one thing to obsess over that is frivolous and ultimately does not matter one bit in the grand scheme of life.

And when I say obsess, I mean you read about it, think about it, buy things related to it, talk about it, join clubs dedicated to it and yes, blog about it. You should be so zealous about it that you feel a tiny bit embarassed. You're embarassed that your enthusiasm for it eclipses (let's be honest) more worthwile pursuits like community volunteerism or contemplating the economy or going over the family budget.

Stuff you love that does matter doesn't count: your family, your friends, your pets. Hobbies like cooking and scrapbooking and playing sports (and novel writing) don't count either; these are creative outlets and essential to your emotional health.

I'm talking utter frivolity. I'm talking shoes.

At least, shoes is my frivolous obsession (and maybe fashion, too, although I'd never claim to be fashionable). Shoes absolutely do not matter, and if I never had another pair ever, my life wouldn't be any less rich. But I love them anyway.

Me loving shoes is the same as the person who knows every baseball score and memorizes batting averages and reads feverishly about recruiting and spring training. Or the person who can speak in Klingon and could tell you exactly which Star Trek episode featured the only time that X event happened to X character. Or the person who knows all of Brangelina's kids' names and when they were born and whether Hugh Jackman is going to do another Wolverine movie.

Baseball, Star Trek, Brangelina and shoes don't matter matter. But life gets stressful and we all need an outlet. And these things do matter to us. We get defensive when people joke about them because in a small way, they make up a piece of who we are. Not that I'm, er, defensive about shoes. Not at all. Nope.

I'm always curious about other peoples' frivolous obsessions. I like to hear about them because it makes me feel better about loving something silly like shoes. Also because it's just plain fascinating. C'mon, 'fess up. What do you love?

13 comments:

Melissa said...

*Johnny Depp
*Shoes of all kind
*NBA playoffs(Go Lakers)
*All things odd
and Jelly Beans

Bevie said...

I buy stuffed animals. Cutsey, plush, soft, hugable, stuffed animals. And knick-knacks. Wolves. Fairies. Wizards. Dragons. Birds (mostly cardinals). Dolphins.

Those are my "biggies", but there are actually quite a few more.

Movies.
Music CDs.
Pens and markers.
Playing Cards.

And more.

By the way, I used to be able to recite the entire Star Trek and Next Generation list of episodes in order. Give me three lines of dialogue and I would tell you which show it came from. Can't do that anymore. Sigh.

shannon said...

Fabulous topic!

I'm obsessed with Madonna & Child/Virgin Mary stuff. Artwork, trinkets, books, holy cards, etcetera. I have no idea where this came from. I am not Catholic.

Magazines. Nevermind that I work at a magazine company and get gobs of magazines for free, or that it would generally make more sense to just subscribe to a few. I still need to buy them off the stand...all of them.

The 1940s-50s. I'm pretty sure I was intended to live during that time.

Martha Stewart. Obsessed.

Christy Raedeke said...

I'm obsessed with carved jade things and cute toiletry/cosmetics bags. There's just no accounting for obsessions is there? I simply cannot get enough of these things!

Justus M. Bowman said...

You didn't hit on anything I care about. Ha ha. Although I am flattered you wrote a defense of shoes based on a comment of mine. And don't say it wasn't because of me, me, me. I, I, I won't believe it.

cerrissa said...

this is reminding me of your article in the plainsman that i still have saved :)

i'm obsessed with my iphone-which i lovingly refer to as my boyfriend, and with decorating my apartment(i love going shopping for dishes, pillows, curtains, fresh flowers, ahh i can't stop!!!)

i'm trying really hard to get over my shoe obsession...or maybe i just dont have any room left to buy new ones :(

Lauren said...

bubble baths
books

...that's about it....even better when combined together :)

Cute post idea. Nice to read other people's little obsessions :)

Anna Claire said...

Justus, you are of course always inspiring. And also not forthcoming with your frivolous obsessions.

Justus M. Bowman said...

Ha ha. Well, it depends on how we define "obession," but I currently write and read a lot. Does that count?

Dominique said...

If you can write a book series, I can become addicted to it. Or, at least, that's what my sister tells me -- and everyone else. :-)

Anna Claire said...

Dominique - I LOVE series, too.

Justus - no it does not. We want to hear about something much more juicy and embarassing.

Justus M. Bowman said...

Hmm, I don't know if I have anything at this time. In the past, I've loved video games, exercise, chess, women (!), and plenty of other "things." And yes, I've obsessed about all those.

Ann said...

Gemstones. Definately gemstones. Not the cut, polished and sparkly kind, but the simple tumble-polished gemstones.

I love them. I love what they symbolise. I love the fact they're reasonably cheap and yet I've still been known to empty my wallet buying them.