Friday, June 26, 2009

Interns!

Not much to report today, other than to point you to a fab blog I heard about through...I can't remember now, maybe Moonrat? But anyway, it's called The Intern and it's a super-interesting look at the inner workings of a publishing house, as told by an unpaid intern. Did I mention she's funny and clever? Anyways, go and check it out.

Anybody ever had an intern job? What was it like?

I interned in the PR office of a government agency for two summers during college and still refer to it as the Pit of Dispair. I worked for a regional lifestyle magazine for a couple of years after college, writing and editing. It was an actual job and I learned a lot, but my income was so far below poverty level that it might as well have been an internship.

8 comments:

Marisa said...

thanks for sharing that link. love the uncensored peek into the world of publishing!

Chad Aaron Sayban said...

I interned at a bank while I was in college during a merger. It was terrible and I really felt bad for all the people who lost jobs that they thought they would retire from. Being an intern really give you an outsider's perspective on a company.

Fran said...

Such a great link. Thank you.

We writing types get so gloomy every so often. This blog really helps lift the mood...

writtenwyrdd said...

I'd have killed for an internship job in publishing when I'd gotten out of college, but of course I needed a job that would pay for miscellaneous (and of course silly) expenditures such as food and rent!

I shall dutifully check out the Interns blog. Thanks for sharing!

Bevie said...

Thanks for the link. I'm adding it to my daily cyber-walk.

rebecca said...

What a great link. Thanks! I think you'll be giving her many new followers!

I would have loved to intern at a publishing house at her age and would have been happy....but most definitely would have needed to be living at home!

Lauren said...

The software industry is a little different from most and the atmosphere seven years ago was very different than today's. I did have an internship, but it paid as much as my first salary job. It will be interesting to read this blog to see the life of a "real" intern and to see what the publishing industry is like! Thanks for sharing it. :)

moonrat said...

oh my god, did i EVER. i was an intern several years before becoming an Ass. honestly, i think the former have more dignity!