Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Summer Songs

I don't know about where you live, but here it's a sweltering 96 degrees with 1,000,000 percent humidity today. Oh summer.

Entertainment Weekly has a cool gallery of the 100 Greatest Summer Songs. 100-76 and 75-51 are already up; more coming tomorrow. The best thing is that no matter when you grew up, you'll see a song on there to make you think of summers past.

I'm not ashamed to admit thinking 'aw yeah' when I saw Ricky Martin's "La Vida Loca" on the list. Takes me back to high school. I think JB got me that CD for my 17th birthday.

But have no fear, there are lots better songs on there. "Gangster's Paradise" totally made the list and makes me think of riding the bus home in middle school and singing along to someone's walkman. We suburban white kids could really relate, yo. And Nelly's "Hot in Herre" is so, so sophomore year of college. Fingers crossed that Usher's "Yeah" will make the list because I don't care how old or overplayed it is: that is a Good Song.

I bet you do this too: a song comes on and makes you remember the funniest details about a specific time. I've been doing this nonstop recently after losing my iPod for a couple of days and having to listen in my car to the Top 40 radio station in my hometown ("Today's! Hottest! Hits!") which is a little too fond of the 90s.

So: what song makes you think of summer? Or a special time? Y'know, like the bus in middle school?

*UPDATE: Reading back over this post, I realized it looks like my music loves trend toward R&B and they really don't. Yet the really popular R&B hits oddly define random growing-up moments. Like how Boyz II Men songs always make me think of slow-dancing like five feet away from a boy during a middle school dance.

7 comments:

Kelly H-Y said...

Oh, the songs you mentioned totally took me back in time! Too funny!

Chad Aaron Sayban said...

We don't have the humidity, but how does 107 grab you? That's the high here today and it doesn't look like it's going to be coming down from that for the foreseeable future.

It's amazing how a song from long ago can trigger a memory from that time instantly.

Liana Brooks said...

Ah, yes, the weather here. I don't think you're that far away. I'm just sitting here praying for rain and crying because it's a "10%" chance all week. Which means 99.9999% humidity and no rain!

Now, for songs... Livin' La Vida Loca - I remember cruising to that with my girlfriends the summer our city enacted a curfew law of 10pm for summer nights. Total bummer.

I would Walk 10,000 Miles - remind me of my sophomore year of HS and the Girls Ask dance. I had fun.

Little White Tank Top- takes me back to a summer in Florida when DH was gone and my younger brother stayed with me. Lots of swimming, days at the beach, and hitting Sea World.

Bevie said...

You are all too young for me. This "old fogie" remembers things like:

In the Summertime, by Mungo Jerry.

Grazing in the Grass, by Hugh Masekela.

Summer: The First Time, by Bobby Goldsboro.

The list goes on nearly endlessly.

Anna Claire said...

Chad, 107 seriously? I don't think I could take it.

Liana and Bevie: I LOVE this, hearing about what songs make you think of certain times!

Irene Latham said...

Against all Odds. Totally reminds me of being 13 and being at the beach with the boy I was SO in love with... aw man, we got burned up that day, but wouldn't trade a second of it.
Miserable here too.... come on, arctic breeze! Alabama needs you!

TERI REES WANG said...

The soundtrack of our teen-Summer lives is what is needed to help us survive this adult-ish life.