Friday, June 12, 2009

Where writers write

Very cool: a site called Where I Write features authors in their creative spaces where they write. Unfortunately I haven't read anything by any of the ones on the site; they're SFF authors, which isn't so much my genre.

Author Margaret Weis' room is one of my favorites. And I like her dog:




I'm in love with Samuel R. "Chip" Delany's cozy, messy, tiny room that's chock full of books. And I'm a fan of the lime green trim. Also his beard:



Our house has a study but it's a truly revolting color of red and needs repainting before I'll feel completely at home in it. I normally just write in the recliner in the living room with my laptop--I like the sunlight there. My favorite place to write is a coffee shop, though. What about you?

Found the site via Nathan Bransford via Jeff Abbott.

7 comments:

TERI REES WANG said...

Ooh, ..."I spy.." Me.

Walls colored a deep dark purple washed by the northern painter's light. Elbows on a fat oak table, draped down the middle with a woven cloth found along my travels. Staring out the window watching all the cars and the people and their dogs go by. That's where I write.

Liana Brooks said...

Funny, I write sci-fi and about half those authors aren't ones I'm familiar with.

And they're all old.

This worries me. Do I need gray hair to get published? Or just to be famous?

Princess Emma said...

I write in the home office, at a huge blue desk that I share with my Dad. He has his half of the desk, and I have mine. It's right in front of the window, so I get to see all the cars and people walk by and it's right next to the kitchen, where my Mum spends most of her time. It's nice because I need people and noise and action around me when I write

Angie Ledbetter said...

For my WIP and other longer projects, I'm usually in my home office surrounded by piles and junk. For poetry, I can be anywhere with tablet and pen.

Lenore said...

Haha! Yes, great beard!

Chad in the AZ Desert said...

That is a pretty cool site. Thanks for the link. Now I just need to get my writing space looking respectable...again...

Natalia Maldonado said...

Oh I saw this a while back and LOVED it! I noticed most of the writers had pets, which I found funny because I always joke that if it weren't for my dog I'd probably go a little insane, being alone in my home office all day. I sometimes read parts of my work out loud to her...

I write in my office, a second bedroom with two desks and a futon for the occasional guest. It took me a few years (started with the dining table in my one-bedroom apartment a few years back) but I finally have a dedicated space for writing and it's worked wonders.