Monday, July 13, 2009

The perfect song

You ever get an epiphany while listening to music? Like everything about the lyrics just make something you've been mulling fall into place?

I'm a big lyrics girl. JB calls me the Lyrics Nazi because I point out when he's singing something wrong. I'm that person. But I'm nice about it.

As an embarassingly weird side note, sometimes I correct a song's grammar when I'm singing along to the radio in my car by myself. Like, I sing my corrected version rather than the actual lyrics. On a scale of 1 to 10, how dorky do you think that is? Not more than an 8, right? Right?

For example, there's a line in Fergie's "Big Girls Don't Cry," that goes, "And I'm gonna miss you like a child misses their blanket."

"Child" is singular. "Their" is plural. It would not have killed her to say "...like a child misses her blanket." She's talking about herself, and girls in general, so the female singluar pronoun is totally OK there.

[crickets chirping]

Alrighty then. Back on topic. "Falling Slowly" from the movie Once came on my iPod today and an overwhelming urge to write a love scene from my WIP hit. The lyrics are perfect, just perfect. I haven't seen the movie (though I want to) so I don't know what the song is about in relation to its plot, but I can imagine it in relation to my main characters. Their love is difficult, maybe even doomed, but it's strong and true enough for them to choose to give it a chance even if it might ultimately fail:

"Take this sinking boat and point it home,
We’ve still got time.
Raise your hopeful voice, you have a choice.
You’ve made it now."

Sigh. It's perfectly inspiring. Does this ever happen to you? What song(s) inspire your writing (or art-creating)? Your current WIP?

If you're interested, the version of "Falling Slowly" I've got is by Kris Allen, who won American Idol this year. The original was recorded by the movie's stars, Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova, but I like Kris's version better. Here it is on YouTube:

5 comments:

quixotic said...

I'm right there with you. I get inspired by music all the time. I just did a blog post about this too. LoL. It must be music week.

Dominique said...

I find music to be a great inspiration.

Also, I totally correct the grammar in songs I'm listening to. :D Glad I'm not alone.

Duluk said...

Once is an excellent movie. And I like Kris Allen well enough, but you should really listen to the original artists singing it; it's a duet, and they're lovely - or perfect - singing together.

And though this won't happen to you, but I wouldn't correct someone's grammar in a bar. :) I did it once; some choice words were spat my way and a couple of my friends had to walk over to make sure nothing happened. But I'm sorry, nothing annoys me more than when someone says, "between you and I" or "between she and I" or any use of a subjective pronoun as the object of a preposition. Seriously. ;) The error you mentioned is probably second on my annoyance level - someone...their. I even read a blog today by an editor who made that mistake at least 3 times in one sentence.

(of course I'm not perfect, I make plenty of my own grammatical mistakes. C'est la vie. :))

Kelly H-Y said...

I think music is so inspirational! And ... loved the 'Lyrics Nazi' reference ... I'm one of those too!

Kirk said...

Music can be very inspirational for my writing. Sometimes it's just the lyrics but often it's the tone or delivery as well.

I think this is because I constantly think about my characters and story while driving to work, so the right song can act as a kind of accompaniment. I have fairly strict control over what I hear since I only listen via an iPod; I don't think the radio would be nearly as effective.