Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Bacon at midnight

Before I begin, I should tell you there is absolutely no point to this post.

Last night I was working on the church history book project (due today) until late because I procrastinate and do everything at the last possible minute. JB kindly stayed up to keep me company and passed the time reading Stephen King's On Writing (JB has authorial aspirations as well) and would occasionally ask me things like "Have you heard of this book by Strunk...and White?" and "Who is V.C. Andrews?" Sometimes I forget what it's like to not be surrounded by literature and journalism 24/7.

I finally finished work around midnight. I usually don't stay up past 10:30 but instead of being exhausted by then I was...hungry. And there's only one place that can cure midnight food cravings: Waffle House.

It was almost 12:30 a.m. by the time we got there. I figured we'd probably look like stoners craving a snack and be the only ones there, but surprisingly it's kind of popular for a Monday ni-uh, Tuesday morning. The outcast high school kids were hanging around outside (one with a laptop hooked into her car). There was the group of fratty-looking guys inside, chowing down on a ginormous amount of food. There was another couple, like us, dressed in PJs and glasses, sitting in a corner booth.

I can't be positive, but I think our waitress was missing one of her front teeth. Either that or she's got an unfortunately large gap there. But she was more than nice and the food...ah, the food. Why is midnight food so much better than daytime food? It ALWAYS is.

After a while, a girl wearing a Little Caesar's Pizza uniform came in, and eventually started helping the Waffwaitress bus tables. I thought that was nice, considering she'd just come off a shift at her own job.

LC girl to Waffwaitress:"You know what I like about Waffle House? It's so...comfortable."

She went on to give her analysis of the difference in late-night clientele between LC and WH, which boiled down to this: people who go to Little Caesar's this late are almost never friendly because they're there to get food and get out with as little interaction as possible. The people who don't mind being personable that late at night come to a place like Waffle House, where they have to actually sit down and eat a meal and at have short conversations with the Waffwaitress.

It struck me as particularly insightful at 12:45 a.m. on a Tuesday morning. There's something fun, kind of exciting and camaraderie-inducing about eating out so late at night. You never know who will be there. JB and I would have next to nothing in common with anybody that was there last night if we were to meet up during the day. But at that time, on that day, we -- two pajama-clad couples, a group of goth kids and four frat guys -- chose to venture out to an actual restaurant, willing to spend the time to sit down and eat and interact with people we don't know.

That, and satisfy our cravings for greasy diner food. Mmm, hashbrowns.

8 comments:

Chad Aaron Sayban said...

I sounds like my college days when we would be at Perkins late into the night. I don't think I could stay up that late and have a coherent thought at this point in my life, though.

Authors Promoting Authors said...

I agree-food at Midnight is always better, especially breakfast food.
I enjoyed this post because it made me feel like hitting up a similar place in my P.J's, something I haven't done since college days.

Cerrissa said...

i was going to suggest "On Writing" for your jwtdt post :) def a good book!

and yes, breakfast food in the middle of the night is the best :)

see you soon!!!!

Tess said...

It has been entirely too long since we've snuck out for late night eats. I have the sometimes unfortunate situation of being married to a marathon runner. He looks great, but never eats any GOOD FOOD!

Jennifer Shirk said...

I can't tell you the last time I ate at midnight. Or stayed up until midnight. LOL!
But yeah, food always tasted better then. :)

Christopher Goodwine said...

I must know... What did you tell him when he asked who V.C. Andrews is?

Anna Claire said...

Christopher - Apparently King says in his book that reading bad fiction can be helpful and named V.C. Andrews as one such author. So I started trying to describe the plot of Flowers in the Attic...needless to say, JB said something along the lines of "that's freakin gross" and we left it at that.

lotusgirl said...

I used to love eating out late like that with friends. Now that I'm married I never do that. Hmmm. Maybe we should try it some time.