Thursday, September 24, 2009

Grammar snobs, unite!

I've been waiting for this day all week: it's National Punctuation Day! And at least on Facebook, my journo friends seem to be the only ones celebrating. This should be a national holiday. Writers and journalists should get the day off. Parades in the street with floats constructed to look like semicolons and pandas. It's time to draft some well-punctuated legislation and send to my Congressman.

You can read more about NPD on the official site. It's not beautiful, but it is well-punctuated. And apparently there was a baking contest. They've got some other ideas about how to celebrate, in case you need inspiration.

Eric at Pimp My Novel has a good post on punctuation today and why it's important to writers.

You can celebrate NPD with other grammar snobs by laughing at bad punctuation on Grammar Fail and The "Blog" of "Unnecessary" Quotation Marks.

This evening I plan to peruse my two favorite and well-worn grammar books: Elements of Style and Eats, Shoots & Leaves.

And what would a post on NPD be without complaining about which incorrect use of punctuation we hate the most? Mine is using apostrophes to make words plural. *ptooey*

What's yours?

1 comment:

Chad Sayban said...

I have no idea, what you mean; by poor punctuation - its all good: right! ;-)