Thursday, October 29, 2009

Cups and drafts

Mug of The Day:




The Daily Cup mug. (Plus the lovely November issue of one of my favorite mags.) I picked this mug up at Starbucks on sale last year. I love its simplicity. I love its tiny, unassuming message: daily cup.

Not "I'm the World's Best [Insert Occupation]" or "I Only Talk to the Voices In My Head" or "I Like Men Like I Take My Coffee..." or anything else obnoxiously stupid. It's just the daily cup of coffee, nothing more or less.

To celebrate simplicty today, I recommend reading this. It's a clear, straightforward discussion of first drafts that's particularly germane to your (and my) prep for NaNoWriMo. It's written by the lovely author and blogger Natalie Whipple (she's repped by none other than Nathan Bransford).

I don't know Natalie at all. But the thing that's always struck me in the year or so I've been reading her blog is that she seems like the kind of writer who always has gobs of brilliant ideas for novels. Kind of the opposite of myself. Which is why I was all the more thrilled to read what she had to say on the subject of first drafts, developing ideas, and not writing in any other style but your own - even if your style (like mine) seems slower than others'.

Check out her post. It's good stuff.

3 comments:

Lady Glamis said...

Natalie is a good friend of mine, and I can confirm that yes, she is filled with amazing, brilliant ideas. So many, in fact, that as she sits and tells me about new ideas she's got I get really green with envy. She's a super-fast writer too. I love your mug idea!

jmberrygirl said...

Loved it! Thank you for sharing.

Kelly H-Y said...

Love the cup! Off to read her post.