Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Squirrels

Mug of the Day:




The squirrel mug. Plus the shoes I wore to work. I've had a thing for squirrels since my college sorority days when, instead of a nice, traditional mascot like a teddy bear, we had...a squirrel. Rather than ignoring the mascot, we embraced it. Lots of signs around the dorm that said things like "Welcome to the Nut House." Now I'm kind of a fan of the little buggers.

Such a fan, in fact, that to add a dimension of weirdness to my NaNo novel, my heroine has a pet squirrel. This is not as uncommon as you'd think. Family lore has it that my great aunt (great great aunt?) had a pet squirrel. Mom and Dad, if you're reading, feel free to chime in the comments section with more details.

I've been working on ways to inject lots of slapstick and madcap-ness into my Option B Roaring 20s Mystery Caper for NaNoWriMo.

Here are a few (and a few overused) ideas I've come up with so far:
-car chases
-mistaken identity
-pet squirrel
-accidentally landing in compromising positions
-defenestration
-eggrolls
-DISGUISES
-weird people sent to kill heroine: albino and/or a large, scary woman named "Big Mimi"
-unusual makeshift weapons
-a mixup of identical cases containing wildly different items: e.g. fundamentalist Bible pamphlets and Thompson submachine guns

Any thoughts? Suggestions? How are things coming with your writing or NaNo novel?

P.S. I'm probably the millionth person to have pondered this, but isn't it weird that we've shortened the name to "NaNo" novel when it is, in fact, a very compact novel written in an extremely short amount of time? Small, as in nano? Um...I like language.

4 comments:

Barrie said...

Egg rolls? Oh, I'd love more details!

jmberrygirl said...

Love the identical cases with very different items idea! My novel is stunted and shelved until Saturday. Further updates and probably and excerpt will grace the blog after the weekend...

jmberrygirl said...

Love the identical cases with very different items idea! My novel is stunted and shelved until Saturday. Further updates and probably and excerpt will grace the blog after the weekend...

Cerrissa said...

eggrolls & Big Mimi--loving it!

also, loving the mug pictures :)

have you ever seen "some like it hot"?? such a great madcap, roaring twenties, smart, sexy story. The disguises alone are hilarious!