Wednesday, October 07, 2009

What she said: why print is still better than blog

If you're like me and still get a bigger thrill from seeing the new issue of your favorite magazine in your mailbox than a new post on your favorite blog (or even if you don't), check out this post from the lovely blog Abbey Goes Design Scouting.

I love reading blogs and Web sites as much as (or probably more than) the next girl, but it still falls short - in my mind - to print media. I could go on about exactly why, but Abbey says it so much better than I could. See her post, which starts out talking about the folding of Gourmet magazine but ultimately explains why she loves print. Pretty much the entire post beginning from her subheading, The Internet is Ultimately Unsatisfying, gets a big "what she said" from me.

Thoughts?

6 comments:

TERI REES WANG said...

I am a collage artist.
My work revolves around the inspiring pages of print. I feel the need to rip. If they all keep folding there will be nothing left to lift.

Katie said...

Ooo! I totally agree. The internet isn't tactile and so you can really HAVE it - like in your hands. And it feels fleeting and not substantial.

Now I feel like I'm describing food or something - must have been the mention of Gourmet magazine :-)

Irene Latham said...

The internet is great for quick reference, like grabbing a green tea latte on the way home from work. But print is like a long soak in the tub. Definitely more nourishing. Long live print!

lotusgirl said...

I can agree with that to a certain degree, but for cooking lately I've really enjoyed finding things online. There are great recipes with videos with them a lot of the time, and I can sit my laptop on the counter while I'm cooking. I'm good as long as I don't spill.

writtenwyrdd said...

I've long suspected that the reason many of us prefer print is because we were acculturated to it. But regardless of why, I don't find it convenient or comfortable to read books or other media on line all the time.

And a big part of the reason is all the adds, applets and other crap that get stuck onto web pages. Nothing is free, and with a book you pay upfront, whereas with the internet the sites pay for themselves by flinging adverts at you. (Which brings to mind monkeys in the zoo and the reason there's plexi between us and them.)

Style and Inspiration said...

I ultimately agree also. While I LOVE the internet and am addicted to blogs, there is nothing like holding a magazine in one hand and a cup of coffee in the other. I've loved print mags since I was a tween (I actually remember buying my first magazine "Teen"). So I'm worried that one day they'll be gone or slim pickings. The net has its place, but print has a place in my heart. Sigh...