Monday, November 02, 2009

Elevators, mobsters, and poisoned booze

Day 2 of NaNoWriMo. I can't express my utter relief at writing something with absolutely no view to eventually shop it to agents, or consideration of what kind of reader would want to read it, where it would fit into today's book market, how an editor would handle it, whether it's derivative or bland, what kind of rewrites it will need, whether the characters are sufficiently tortured, or even if everything is historically accurate.

Bascially, none of the worries plaguing me into a state of writerly panic on my beloved Southern Gothic manuscript.

This is vacation. A much-needed writing vacation.

I've gone with Option B and I'm happier for it. I envision returning to writing my "real" novel in December, with fresh eyes and far less angst.

Option B is morphing into a 1930s mystery caper. Or a 1920s caper. Or we could be looking at late 1940s. Meh. Who knows? I've got a dead body on page 4; all is right with the world.

To avoid those long, boring this-is-what's-happening-in-my-novel posts, I'm reinstating the Novel Update.


Novel Update, Day 2
Words: 2,154
Number of decades in which I've considered placing the story: 3
Dead bodies: 1 (poisoned booze)
Google/Wikipedia searches on poison: 4 (There's an entire List of People Who Have Been Poisoned and How. Holy moly that is SO COOL.)
Love interests: 1
Scenes in an elevator: 1
Suspicious persons: 2 and counting
Hours spent looking up 20s and 1930s fashion: 1.5 (this site was particularly helpful)

4 comments:

Crimey said...

Sounds like you're developing a nice little mystery novel!

Tamika: said...

You have quite an interesting layout.

I love the freedom that NaNo gives me. Writing with reckless abandon can be quite a boost.

Happy writing!

lotusgirl said...

Love your update paradigm.

dirtywhitecandy said...

Love the idea of NaNoWriMo as brainstorming therapy - writing as slobbing out! I bet you get some really cool ideas and surprise yourself - which I think is what NaNo is all about. write on, with abandon!