Monday, December 28, 2009

Steampunk

I've always liked the steampunk aesthetic. I even have my very own steampunkish old-pocketwatch-locket-necklace thanks to my sis, who found one on Etsy.

But I've only just started reading steampunk (though I did read the His Dark Materials trilogy in college, which sort of counts). One of my Christmas presents from JB this year was Cherie Priest's Boneshaker. I read nearly 1/4 of it yesterday - very swashbuckling. I like it so far.



A few months ago, I gobbled up Gail Carriger's Soulless - light and fluffy, but a really fun read. I saw a review of it a while back and fell in love with, of all things, the cover:



Something about the punky 80s font juxtaposed with the gothic victorian lady with the menacing hat and umbrella is genius. Also the tagline is irrisitibly cheeky: "A novel of vampires, werewolves and parasols."

Maybe I should have prefaced all of this by saying that I'm not a big fan of paranormal. But for some reason the pseudo-historical aspect of traditional steampunk is enough to make vampires (Soulless) and zombies (Boneshaker) much more appealing to me.

Though I got lots of good books for Christmas I should be reading, I'd love to hear any other steampunk recommendations you've got.

Just for funsies, a few other links:
I've followed The Steampunk Home blog for a while - the blog author finds lots of neat design and decor pieces. Some are over the top but lots are easy to incorporate into your home. I'm in love with this creepy chandelier, BTW:



And if you like playing dress-up, try this cute game where you get to put steampunk clothes on a virtual paper doll. Fun!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well that was fun. :) Love those links -- steampunk is growing on me... will check back for others' recommendations. Happy New Year!

Vivienne said...

I am just getting into steampunk. Hubby bought me The Boneshaker for Christmas too, so I can't wait to read it.

Tere Kirkland said...

Can't wait to read both of these!

Thanks for the recs!

Suzette Saxton said...

Thanks for the recommendations!

Kimberley Griffiths Little said...

I got SOULLESS for Christmas! I agree that it's got a great, funky cover. :-D